Additional gear

Totally addicted to your speckie? Not getting the results you expected? Experiencing Problems together with other gear? This is the place to share good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Additional gear

Postby Koffeinjunkie » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:41 pm

Just out of curiosity, what kind of gear are you using as an addition to your spectralis ?
Have you experienced technical problems or can you recommand special gear ?

I'm using a Korg microX together with my Spectralis. Since we're still waiting for the midi clock send feature the korg arpeggiators are very difficult to use, but otherwise both machines complement each other well. For example you can use the midi def feature to use some drums from the korg inside the groove edit.
My other gear is not used very often, especially the waldorf q is gathering dust. I still use the Roland Fantom S when I need some decent rhodes or a 61 keyboard.
Right now I'm not using software, but I'm planning to use logic express for recording someday.
Koffeinjunkie

Postby skaincz » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:50 pm

at the moment i only use the spectralis.
as additional gear i will buy the sherman filterbank and the dsi-mono-evolver.....

i also own the mpc1000 but the pads are very abused, so i have to refurbished it to use it as an mpc :cry:
skaincz

Postby Lichttank » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:42 pm

I'm using the Roland JP-8000 together with my Specci. I also miss the midi clock send feature (arpeggiators, delay-sync, lfo-sync).
In the future I like to add my Roland Juno 60. (But you need a MIDI to DCB-Interface for using the Juno 60 via MIDI. At the moment a friend and myself are trying to build one.)
Lichttank

Postby apropos of nothing » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:09 am

I'm controlling the Spectralis with my Alesis Ion. The Ion is as generic as the Spectralis is special. BUT the Ion can control four different MIDI channel with four different arpeggiator patterns at different key-ranges. They seem to have been made for each other.

I sat down and played the two of them together with my piano, today. That was perfect. I used to have problem because I was putting the synth at my right hand. Now I put the synth at my left hand, and everything is much better. Herbie Hancock never had it so good.
apropos of nothing

Postby dest4b » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:56 am

I use th speckie with my circuit bendet TR707 and a Virus Ti plus a Lexicon Mx200
The job of the 707 is producing my masterclock and freaking pecussion sounds ... hmn i love it.

And of course two midi mergers, all because specie cant generate midi clock.
I merge the TR707 + my Kyboard ( LMK3 ) this merged Sinal goes to Speckie midi IN, then i Merge Speckie Midi out and Midi thru, so that i have clock and notes at my Virus.. not the best way but i dindt find a better solution since some years ;)

so far its working.
and a friend was a litle confused yesturday evening because he think the ( like many other peoples ) spectralis is not easy to use.
But i produced a bad hard style tech house track in five minutes from a empty pattern. Directly before his eyes. "klick dreh schraub klick .."
( only speckie and my bended 707 with the Lexicon .. that kikz ass ! )

i love this mashine :)

greez

dest4b
<<[dest4b]>>
https://soundcloud.com/dest4b
dest4b

Postby moosiqpipl » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:51 am

Yepp...for me it's also the Alesis Ion, plus an Elektron Machinedrum.

I also keep an Akai S2000 sampler and a Roland D-110 in my rack. I don't really use them often these days, but they are so wonderful archaic machines ;-)
moosiqpipl

Postby stylinghead » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:41 pm

i jut want to create an empty pattern. i think i am going to burn the manual and rub the ashes on my head.
you got to do what you got to do with what you got to do it with
stylinghead

Postby Jörg Schaaf » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:37 pm

1.) Select the Button "Pattern" in the "Num-Button Assignment"-Section.
2.) Press the [Edit]-function with the encoder button.
3.) Press Page-Up
4.) Now again press the fourth encoder button under [init].

Now the pattern is initialised. But this function will not change the pattern data on the flash memory. If you select a second pattern and then again the initialized one, the init version will be replaced by the flash version because the init function only changes the temporary memory. So the final step is saving the erased pattern to the desired memory location or locations. You can delete all patterns at once by selecting "Save"->"Pattern"->"Song"-> pressing all numbuttons you want to delete and then again "Save".
Jörg Schaaf

Postby spesimen » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:07 am

i also use machinedrum (which has the most excellent sequencing interface of any beatbox imho) and the rs-7000, which also is very sophisticated and was an early pioneer of easy computer file transfer. it's handling of chopped loops is as good as it gets outside of a computer, but with the bonus of awesome mixer setting groups and tight integration of 16-step roland-style programming with live-input stuff.
spesimen

Postby apropos of nothing » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:50 pm

moosiqpipl wrote:Yepp...for me it's also the Alesis Ion, plus an Elektron Machinedrum.

I also keep an Akai S2000 sampler and a Roland D-110 in my rack. I don't really use them often these days, but they are so wonderful archaic machines ;-)

Have you tried using the arpeggiator on the Ion in tandem with the arpeggiator on the Spectralis? I like the combo a lot. Sort of similar to a MIDI delay, but funkier.

I keep meaning to set up my Spec to trigger my Ensoniq ASR-10 and SQ-80. That'll be fun! Must set up MIDI patch-bay so that I don't have to rip wires out all the time. That's no fun!
apropos of nothing

Next

Return to Spectralis experiences and opinions