Help a GAL Out!

Totally addicted to your speckie? Not getting the results you expected? Experiencing Problems together with other gear? This is the place to share good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Postby lanah and J » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:43 pm

Septic wrote:If your boyfriend loves the way of making music with quasimidi gear, than the Spectralis is imho the only true alternative to polymorph and sirius.

I also had them both, and the way of working is comparable with the Spectralis.

The Polymorph seq functions were awesome, but the Spectralis takes this 1000 steps further.


A PC/Mac will not compensate his loss of the Quasimidi gear, the Spectralis will.

And if you hand him a handwritten voucher from yourself at his birthday, i am sure will be happy to wait a few weeks to get his hands on the real thing

Take care,



Thanks septic,, your post sealed it for me. Especially since you've owned the same equipment he has. I actually went on and ordered it yesterday from bigcitymusic.com They gave me their ebay price which was a lot better.


I'll update everyone later.
lanah and J
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:21 pm

Postby droolmaster0 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:04 pm

uvacom wrote:Andromeda? It's a cool keyboard and everything, but I think it gets more use from the prog-rock types. Not that it couldn't be used for techno, but probably not without a damn good sequencer.

Nah, for the price range you're looking at, you should be looking at the Spectralis, but also check out the Elektron Machinedrum or Monomachine. They're both really cool little boxes with powerful sequencing and sound engines good for techno.


Well, I own both a Spectralis and an Andromeda. I could certainly see getting a used Andromeda + a p3, which should come in at about the price of the Spectralis. (ah - just saw that the Spectralis has been ordered. Well....can't go wrong with that choice!)
droolmaster0
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:38 am

Postby Jörg Schaaf » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:14 pm

The combination of a P3 and the andromeda would be a big difference compared to the spectralis.

No samples
No realtime recording options
No filterbank
No really fast and smooth parameter control because of the MIDI limitations
No step envelopes
No Real Jam Modus with Muting, Soloing, Mixing capabilities, Switching between song and pattern mode etc.
Less overall polyphony
No grid editing up to 192th notes
No chord trigger mode
No fast motif or drumgroove exchange

I think, the Andro is a very good polyphonic Synth addon to the Spectralis - but I would prefer the Spectralis first, because you already can produce complete songs with a single spectralis. I am not quite sure, whether the combination of a P3 and the Andro would allow that in the same way.
User avatar
Jörg Schaaf
 
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:46 am
Location: Germany

Postby uvacom » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:41 pm

droolmaster0 wrote:
uvacom wrote:Andromeda? It's a cool keyboard and everything, but I think it gets more use from the prog-rock types. Not that it couldn't be used for techno, but probably not without a damn good sequencer.

Nah, for the price range you're looking at, you should be looking at the Spectralis, but also check out the Elektron Machinedrum or Monomachine. They're both really cool little boxes with powerful sequencing and sound engines good for techno.


Well, I own both a Spectralis and an Andromeda. I could certainly see getting a used Andromeda + a p3, which should come in at about the price of the Spectralis. (ah - just saw that the Spectralis has been ordered. Well....can't go wrong with that choice!)


Right-o - Like I said, the andromeda + a damn good sequencer. From what I understand, the P3 is damn good.

But Spectralis is also damn good, and with the filterbank/hybridsynth + sequencer being so tightly integrated (as Jorg alluded to), it can't lose for what I like to do.

I'd still like a P3 though. :D
uvacom
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:19 am

Postby lanah and J » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:20 pm

it's all decided anyway. I should be receiving it today. It's going to be hard keeping it for another week before his b-day.

I'll give him this website to join as well, he would love that.

Do I need to buy anything else to make it complete? I read something like media cards or flash cards. What maxium size? 128,,512?
lanah and J
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:21 pm

Postby Septic » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:19 pm

2 x128MB (max) smartmedia 3.3v then he would have an additional 256mb storage for some samplekits. The Spectralis can have 2 of em at the same time (2 seperate slots)

I wish I had a girlfriend like you ;)
Underground Elektro Booty Bass
http://www.myspace.com/septicstudio
Septic
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:25 pm

Postby uvacom » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:11 pm

Yeah, 128Mb currently.

It's probably cheaper and more future-proof to buy 128mB xD cards and xD->smartmedia adaptors. To get the most, you would need 2 adaptors (since there are 2 slots), but you could have as many xD cards as you want. xD cards are really cheap compared to smartmedia, I think I got a 128mB card for about $10 and the xd->smartmedia adaptor for another $10, compare that to $50 for one 128Mb smartmedia card!

And unofficially, the Spectralis can support 512Mb cards - but there are legal issues, so currently it can't read those cards. But it has the capability, they are just trying to figure out how to make that available to users. Anyway, 512Mb cards typically run about $30 so when Spectralis can use them, they will be a better value since you get 4x more space for only 3x the price of a 128Mb card. Plus obviously it's much more convenient to be able to store more one one card.

But you don't necessarily need to get him those right away, Spectralis has a good amount of non-volatile internal RAM so the cards aren't needed just to store some sounds. If you simply must accessorize, it would be a nice treat to get him one adaptor and one 128Mb card, that's just $20 and it should tide him over until this 512Mb card issue gets sorted out.
uvacom
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:19 am

Postby lanah and J » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:44 pm

uvacom wrote:Yeah, 128Mb currently.

It's probably cheaper and more future-proof to buy 128mB xD cards and xD->smartmedia adaptors. To get the most, you would need 2 adaptors (since there are 2 slots), but you could have as many xD cards as you want. xD cards are really cheap compared to smartmedia, I think I got a 128mB card for about $10 and the xd->smartmedia adaptor for another $10, compare that to $50 for one 128Mb smartmedia card!

And unofficially, the Spectralis can support 512Mb cards - but there are legal issues, so currently it can't read those cards. But it has the capability, they are just trying to figure out how to make that available to users. Anyway, 512Mb cards typically run about $30 so when Spectralis can use them, they will be a better value since you get 4x more space for only 3x the price of a 128Mb card. Plus obviously it's much more convenient to be able to store more one one card.

But you don't necessarily need to get him those right away, Spectralis has a good amount of non-volatile internal RAM so the cards aren't needed just to store some sounds. If you simply must accessorize, it would be a nice treat to get him one adaptor and one 128Mb card, that's just $20 and it should tide him over until this 512Mb card issue gets sorted out.



Okay you confused me bigtime. I know what a smartmedia card is but what is an XD card and what does the adapter look like? There are so many media card out there. Are XD cards the ones used in phones or digital cameras? Where would I get one of those and the adapters?

Also a side question? My b/f and I use the same computer. How can I Delete the spectralis web address from the pull down list without erasing all of the other saved web addresses. I'm afraid he will see it and find out.? I have windows xp.
lanah and J
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:21 pm

Postby uvacom » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:19 pm

lanah and J wrote:Okay you confused me bigtime. I know what a smartmedia card is but what is an XD card and what does the adapter look like? There are so many media card out there. Are XD cards the ones used in phones or digital cameras? Where would I get one of those and the adapters?


xD is just a popular flash card format, you can find 'em in any wal-mart, or camera store, wherever. I think they're only used for cameras, cell-phones which have built-n cameras, etc. They're about the size of a postage stamp and black. You shouldn't have any trouble finding them, but there's a pretty good chance you'll pay a lot more in a retail store than you will online.

The adaptor looks like a smartmedia card, but more preggo with a big lump at the top and a slot to stick the xD card in. The adaptors can be a little tricky to find, I got mine off of ebay. I guess if you're in a big city you could call around to a few camera and computer shops, maybe one of them has one.

Also a side question? My b/f and I use the same computer. How can I Delete the spectralis web address from the pull down list without erasing all of the other saved web addresses. I'm afraid he will see it and find out.? I have windows xp.


Well, if you are talking about the bookmarks list, it should be as easy as right-clicking the spectralis address and clicking "delete". If you mean the web history (from the list that sometimes drops down when you are typing in a web address), I'm not really sure, if I needed to do that I'd just clear my web history, you can probably do that from the "internet options" menu.
uvacom
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:19 am

Postby lanah and J » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:55 pm

uvacom wrote:
lanah and J wrote:Okay you confused me bigtime. I know what a smartmedia card is but what is an XD card and what does the adapter look like? There are so many media card out there. Are XD cards the ones used in phones or digital cameras? Where would I get one of those and the adapters?


xD is just a popular flash card format, you can find 'em in any wal-mart, or camera store, wherever. I think they're only used for cameras, cell-phones which have built-n cameras, etc. They're about the size of a postage stamp and black. You shouldn't have any trouble finding them, but there's a pretty good chance you'll pay a lot more in a retail store than you will online.

The adaptor looks like a smartmedia card, but more preggo with a big lump at the top and a slot to stick the xD card in. The adaptors can be a little tricky to find, I got mine off of ebay. I guess if you're in a big city you could call around to a few camera and computer shops, maybe one of them has one.

Also a side question? My b/f and I use the same computer. How can I Delete the spectralis web address from the pull down list without erasing all of the other saved web addresses. I'm afraid he will see it and find out.? I have windows xp.


Well, if you are talking about the bookmarks list, it should be as easy as right-clicking the spectralis address and clicking "delete". If you mean the web history (from the list that sometimes drops down when you are typing in a web address), I'm not really sure, if I needed to do that I'd just clear my web history, you can probably do that from the "internet options" menu.


Thanks alot uvacom,,,
That worked really well. I don't think I'll get the xd cards or anything like that. I'll just let him get them.

The boix arrive yesterday evening. I opened it to make sure everything was okay. It came packaged perfectly. non descripted packaging all the way through. He will not know what it is until he pulls the protective covering off of the machine. I'm taking the manual out to give to him separately. It's amazing that things so small can do so much. I don't know anything about making music but I'm a HUGE fan of electronic music and I get floored everytime I hear something so small such as a polymorph or 309 and I guess in the future Spectralis.

Thanks for the help guys and gals.
lanah and J
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:21 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Spectralis experiences and opinions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest