Help a GAL Out!

Totally addicted to your speckie? Not getting the results you expected? Experiencing Problems together with other gear? This is the place to share good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Help a GAL Out!

Postby lanah and J » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:24 pm

Here's my situation. My B/F is a Quasimidi Junkie. He produces and plays live with 2 309's, a polmorph, Sirus and Quasar. He hates the computer.

Well I graduated and moved into his town but needed money for my apartment deposit. he let me borrow the money, but without telling me he had gotten the money by selling his Sirius and Quasar. I almost died because he loved that Keyboard. To make a long story short. I've been saving to get him another Sirius but I've noticed that for a year now He's had a picture of the Spectralsis on his wall. Plus finding another sirius has been hard.

So I started doing some research and found out this thing is exactly the kind of instrument he loves. The only thing he liked more than the Sirius is his Polymorph. BUT it is EXPENSIVE and I guess not complete. I don't understand the not complete part? Is it a BETA version? If I bought one today how far from complete would it be? It looks like all the updates are free but some of the operating buggs and broken button,,etc. post scares me. Also how stable is the company? One of the problems he has with the Quasimidi's is that it is out of business and he can't get any customer support or upgrades anymore.

Can someone who has bought one recently post and give me some advice. His birthday is in 2 weeks and I would like to get something. I'm in the US and found a US distributor and have a little more than a $1000 to invest. I would have to put the rest on a credit card.
lanah and J

Postby Hemanto » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:28 pm

sorry, i want to send this as PM but did the wrong way.
but the advice in short: do not buy such things with loading the creditcard !
Hemanto

Postby andy hunt » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:56 pm

buy him this little beauty!!!

what music he makes? if my girlfriend buys me a (second) spectralis i will married her and make her 1000 babys in one night :D

its not really a beta, the most things are finished and work perfectly! and the company is very stable, because i think even when the company brokes down, jörg "mastermind" schaaf will still help you!

sorry i hope you understand me, my english is not so good!
andy hunt

Postby chromex » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:52 pm

As someone who previuosly centered most of his live performances on polymorph I would say that this machine, which in my mind lacks only a few minor features to make it complete would suit your boyfirend great as it now is! As it now is it is the evolution of the polymorph into something much better and the sonics are fantastic.
chromex

Postby lanah and J » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:04 pm

He makes Detroit Style Techno. I'm not sure where you from and if that makes any sense to you but it a form of electronic Dance Music.

Thanks for the advice. From both of you. Hemanto thanks for the credit card advice. I would leave the remainder on the credit card for long , Just until September. I always pay my credit cards off in a month. I have a 1000 now and will have 1000 more next month but his b-day is Aug. 18th.

Some people say I could buy him a powerful computer (MAC) and it would way more, but I know he would hate me if I bought him a Macintosh for music.

I feel more comfortable with this website on here and I'm sure he will join if I buy it.

What kind of music do you guys use it for?
lanah and J

Postby uvacom » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:47 pm

The Spectralis is eminently suited to techno. Not in the generic sense that any groovebox can do techno, the spectralis seems to be designed from the ground up for techno specifically (I do mean the detroit & berlin type). Financial advice aside, if you are planning to spend roughly this amount of money on your boyfriend in one way or another, I doubt you could do better than the Spectralis. It's not entirely compelte yet, but it is totally functional and especially with the .97 update it has pretty much everything needed to make it a really functional machine.

I know that if my girlfriend bought me a Spectralis, I would completely freak out, in a good way. I don't want to put you in an akward spot, but I'd be thinking "the one" right about then. Okay, we're pretending for a moment that I'm not just infatuated with myself and that I actually have a girlfriend, but that's a story for another day. :P
uvacom

Postby lanah and J » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:26 pm

You guys are forgetting the other half of the story.
He sold his beloved and apparently quite rare keyboard to loan me money.

I should be thinking "The One" as well.

I think what I'm going to do is to make him a "Music instrument " Gift card. and give it to him and let him make the decision. I'm getting really confused now. Alot of his friends are telling me to get an Andromeda and I don't have the time to research that thing the way I researched the spectralis to comapre.
Telling me that it's made for techno is a good start though,,,thanks alot.

Can anyone tell me how similar it is to the Polymorph?From my readings, I'm guesssing it's way more advance. From what my b/f tells me he loves the polymorph because of it's sequencer. Does the Spectralis have a similar sequencer?
lanah and J

Postby Septic » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:39 pm

If your boyfriend loves the way of making music with quasimidi gear, than the Spectralis is imho the only true alternative to polymorph and sirius.

I also had them both, and the way of working is comparable with the Spectralis.

The Polymorph seq functions were awesome, but the Spectralis takes this 1000 steps further.

A PC/Mac will not compensate his loss of the Quasimidi gear, the Spectralis will.

And if you hand him a handwritten voucher from yourself at his birthday, i am sure will be happy to wait a few weeks to get his hands on the real thing

Take care,
Underground Elektro Booty Bass
http://www.myspace.com/septicstudio
Septic

Postby robtronik » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:58 pm

seriously, get him the Spectralis. You said detroit techno?

Oh boy. Despite it being not yet feature complete, this thing (even in my short time of learning it) is amazing. I've owned every groovebox under the sun, tons of synths, and well... I can't recommend it enough.

Seriously. :)

rob.
robtronik

Postby uvacom » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:14 am

Andromeda? It's a cool keyboard and everything, but I think it gets more use from the prog-rock types. Not that it couldn't be used for techno, but probably not without a damn good sequencer.

Nah, for the price range you're looking at, you should be looking at the Spectralis, but also check out the Elektron Machinedrum or Monomachine. They're both really cool little boxes with powerful sequencing and sound engines good for techno.
uvacom

Next

Return to Spectralis experiences and opinions