need help in Mixer/Monitor basic knowledge

Totally addicted to your speckie? Not getting the results you expected? Experiencing Problems together with other gear? This is the place to share good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

need help in Mixer/Monitor basic knowledge

Postby u.n.i.t.e.d » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:21 pm

hello. i have been making music for a long time but i think that i am learned or doing certain things wrong so i hope someone share some studio experience with me.

One of my problems is that i using the master faders of my mixer to control the volume of my monitor speakers and i,m not shure if this is right. because i route the main xlr out to the monitors and the headphone output with a 3,5 jack to double xlr (stereo) to my wav recorder for recording. So sometimes the level of my master level is right but the speakers are to low or to loud. i think it would be the best to control the monitor level from the mixer but how can i do this. i want to go out of the mixer with xlr because i think this is the best quality and my monotor level is only on the first mark. should it usually minimum in the middle for the right audio monitoring?
u.n.i.t.e.d

Re: need help in Mixer/Monitor basic knowledge

Postby ziopad » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:23 pm

Hey, what kind of mixer are you using? It may be there's another possibility for monitoring, but it's hard to say without knowing the details. If not, you might want to look at something like the T.C. Electronic level pilot. That should allow you to get decent gain-staging to your recorder without melting your monitors. http://www.tcelectronic.com/level-pilot/ I shouldn't think you'd need to worry about where your level settings are at on your monitors. They should be giving you an accurate picture of the mix even at low amp settings. As long as you're generating SPL sufficient to evaluate how the mix sounds at different volumes, you should be fine. I'd be more worried about the quality of the signal going to your 2-track recorder. Sounds like you could be getting a higher-than-necessary signal-to-noise ratio.
ziopad

Postby u.n.i.t.e.d » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:58 am

i use an allen&heath zed 22 fx. i,ve found a alternative out on the mixer with its own level control but this is just a stereo chinch output so i dont know if the soundquality is good as xlr to xlr. maybe with an chinch to xlr cable. in this case i can use the xlr outs to route into my wav recorder. what do you think about it?
u.n.i.t.e.d

Postby ziopad » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:56 pm

Got it. That's a nice mixer. If I were in your shoes, I would definitely run the monitors off the alt outputs. As long as you're using decent cables and it's a short run (which it most likely is, since we're talking near-fields, right?), there shouldn't be a problem using unbalanced connectors to your monitors. The alt level control allows you to adjust the monitors level, which is down to aesthetics, while you use the meter to determine the optimal level to your main outs/2tk, which is an electrical issue where there's a more objective right/wrong answer to the question of "What's the right level?" My event opals have combi-jack inputs, but I run unbalanced line to them from a modified Grace Model 901 headphone amp/DAC. The cables are RCA-1/4" TS and it sounds great.
ziopad

Postby u.n.i.t.e.d » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:18 pm

yes,i am using nearfield monitors. I would give it a try and hope that it works:-) i want to optimise my whole studio and i am now almost in the lucky position to make music without reservation. Thank you alot for your help! Dere:-)
u.n.i.t.e.d

Postby ziopad » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:41 am

Good luck, dude! Let us know how it goes and throw some audio files our way when you feel like it. Looking forward to hearing some of your work!
ziopad

Postby u.n.i.t.e.d » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:06 pm

yes,when the time ripe i will post my music in the forum but i am now on the starting point of my plan to turn into a professional musican. So if you like freetekno,hardcore,idm,darkmental,ambient,experimental-stuff, watch out for it:-)
u.n.i.t.e.d

Postby acemonvw » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:39 pm

This is good information to have. I'm actually quite inexperienced with my mixer and speakers. I have never paid any attention to using my audio equipment properly! I have an Onyx 1220 firewire mixer and Equator D5 speakers. All I know how to do is plug in my gear and turn on the mixer and speakers :(
acemonvw

Postby decay » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:01 pm

You could always make a good mix on your monitor speakers via your xlr main outputs and when your happy with the result switch the xlr from your monitors to your recording device with the alternative outputs so you have the xlr output for recording and the alternative for monitoring then you have the best quality on your recording.....I think :)
decay

Postby djnorythm » Fri May 03, 2013 5:14 am

I always use the main to get the proper level and send that to the recording device and send the monitor out or headphone out to my monitors. That way I have a 'volume' knob for my ears and monitor and I am recording at a consistent level with the main out.

There should not be a significant drop in quality between the monitor or main outs, so don't worry about the xlr balanced voodoo.. unless you have those special magic cables that make everything delicious.
djnorythm

Return to Spectralis experiences and opinions