the best thing about the Spectralis so far

Totally addicted to your speckie? Not getting the results you expected? Experiencing Problems together with other gear? This is the place to share good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

the best thing about the Spectralis so far

Postby fling » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:15 am

let me first tell you i made one of my "most succesful" records (in 1997) with the Quasimidi Sirius,
which can be seen as the thing before the spectralis. the track was called "animal skin" ,
you will find the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsrIPTklSkE
the man behind this visionary synth was ...Jörg Schaaf.

i made the music in about 10 minutes. (ok i should have spend more time in the mix afterwards ;)
i new it will be a good track. i did not new how to save on the Sirius. so i had the thing on for a few weeks
in my living room telling eveybody: Don't touch this thing, this is gonna be a hit! ...
well a small one it became ;)

i just love machines with random functions. if i see artists sitting in front of their laptops
creating beats in reason or ableton it looks so static = non rocking = boring = not making music

with the spectralis - even if you have it for the first 30 minutes and have no idea about
triggergroups and stuff like that, you take a beat and make great variation after great
variation in seconds. you modify them, save them, make a track. THIS rocks.

i am more into halfstep drum and bass / dubstep / dubby technoid tracks nowadays.
this machine is a dream and such a great time saver for producing music like that.

and: the Spectralis is the fattest sounding beatmachine (after the sp 12/1200 but this is so special and
same time limited). in the world.

to me the Spectralis sounds better than machinedrum, the 909, 808, jomoxs,
all mpcs, asrx or whatever.

it has a sound that ROCKS. it spits out beats you would never have dreamed of or you would have spend DAYS
to program. the spectralis keeps you in the flow. keeps you rocking.

it is in my most honest opinion, the most enjoyable beatmachine i have ever used.
even if it has not the fx / mods of the machinedrum it still is better. it is the perfect mix
between yesterday, today and tomorrow.

and i did not yet talk about the aSynth or the dSynths.

the drum machine alone is worth every penny.

you spend 2000 euros on a 909 or a 808 ?

sorry but you are really stupid then and have not spent yet one or two days with the sepctralis.

now there is a video about the accelerators random functions.
there is none about the spectralis on youtiube.

people, sorry if i sound really shitty here but you do not seem to have any
idea what the spectralis can do. or you don't have an ear for new unconventional beats.

with the spectralis you make flying lotus style beats, dub phizix style beats, daft punk style beats
like it is kids game. also your own new beats. try it. just belive me. it's big big fun.
and it has endless punch.

i wrote all this because i think jörg schaaf is one great mastermind in inventing NEW
USUABLE machines despite all "ifs and buts"

this is my respect to him and to say THANK YOU JÖRG AND I HOPE
SOME PEOPLE READ THIS AND STOP BELIEVING ALL THE BULLSHIT ABOUT THE SPECTRALIS
AND START TO USE IT THE WAY IT COULD BE USED.

AS THE MOST CREATIVE BEAT CREATION MACHINE
OUT THERE.

oh, btw:

the only thing about the spectralis that really sucks is
that people call it Specki. like it was a pig (speck = german for ham)
or like it was some retarded friend.

you should change your point of view.
fling

Re: the best thing about the Spectralis so far

Postby jizzmaster2000 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:03 am

+1
Can you think of a new nickname then?
Jeremy
Melbourne
jizzmaster2000

Postby acemonvw » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Without using the random feature... I've gotten a ton of use out the Spectralis. You can see all of my videos and tutorials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7GjJJOCFS4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6c794s-O_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNfFXbIF1jk
(just a few)

One thing I really enjoy is changing the length of drum parts to get really cool syncopated drum parts.
Make kick drum 7/8 length
Make snare drum 9/8 length
hi-hat 10/8... etc.

I thought the random feature wasn't that it actually randomized anything but that it took a pattern, or part, from a different song and placed it into the current song... which just doesn't really sit well with me. I have not once liked the outcome of it. I prefer the control I have over everything.

There are lots of good videos of people using the spectralis and it is quite an enigmatic machine. Striking awe and fear into those who have never used it, but deep down inside, still want one.

I have nothing but respect for the spectralis (speckie as I also like to call it... yes, please come up with a better nickname) and I love working with mine. I purchased the spectralis because I have a lot of respect for Joerg and their company as well, being a small business (I mentioned this elsewhere). The lack of communication and some of the critical updates that should have come a while ago (overdub, arp fix, etc...) For those that have been here since 2005 and not seen these updates, attached with a long bout of no communication from the company... it is likely very frustrating.

Personally, I enjoy the spectralis and have made video tutorials trying to help people get a better grasp of the device. I have got my money's worth, and made back the cost of it when I wrote the music for a documentary this summer! I used the spectralis to sequence everything. It was quite an enjoyable experience and very easy to work with. I love my spectralis and won't be giving it up any time soon.

:D
acemonvw

Postby jizzmaster2000 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:51 am

Tralie?
Joergenbeepnbangbox?
Jeremy
Melbourne
jizzmaster2000

Postby sgariplerden » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:26 am

thank you acemonw, your tutorial videos are of big help. The day I go a step forward on the way I use the spectralis, it will be helpful to me. I am just wondering why there has never been any serious online review of the spectralis (for instance, from sonicstate). The tutorial videos you made, well, maybe someone should have done them earlier (radikal). Does the spectralis have the success it deserves ? Definitely it is a market niche so that Radikal must certainly have limited marketing resources.

For me, I spend enough time in front of a computer screen so that I enjoy to have a real hardware machine, no matter if it caused me headaches in the beginning. And I like the idea of owning a machine that requires patience and dedication. We all know that our inspiration will not be limited by the spectralis functionalities :D
sgariplerden

Postby acemonvw » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:45 pm

sgariplerden wrote:thank you acemonw, your tutorial videos are of big help. The day I go a step forward on the way I use the spectralis, it will be helpful to me. I am just wondering why there has never been any serious online review of the spectralis (for instance, from sonicstate). The tutorial videos you made, well, maybe someone should have done them earlier (radikal). Does the spectralis have the success it deserves ? Definitely it is a market niche so that Radikal must certainly have limited marketing resources.

For me, I spend enough time in front of a computer screen so that I enjoy to have a real hardware machine, no matter if it caused me headaches in the beginning. And I like the idea of owning a machine that requires patience and dedication. We all know that our inspiration will not be limited by the spectralis functionalities :D

Thanks sgariplerden!

Hopefully you've seen that I've since posted other tutorials that will probably be A LOT more helpful than the ones posted in this thread, here's a link to a playlist that includes all the videos:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMYDu3T27nAjJkSwJ1I7WeFaWA8eu1M9k

I am not sure why there hasn't been an online review of the spectralis, and I love soncistate's reviews (that British dude is very good at reviewing synths). But he usually does straight up synthesizers... I don't think I've seen him do much in the way of grooveboxes, but also, the amount of time and dedication to fully comprehend and understand the spectralis would make it difficult for him to get it and just make a review. I'm guessing someone would need a lot of time to understand it!
acemonvw

Postby spectac » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:56 am

Had to chime in after reading those words of high praise.
Before I bought a Spectralis 2, I watched a lot of videos since I didn't have anything else to go on. I really didn't care for most of the songs i saw users noodling around on, but it was the pure tone or sound that sold me. It sounded great in every video. Even the ones at NAMM or MM with lots of background noise. I knew then that it would be a powerful addition to my set up.

Yeah, the randomizer scrambles the saved patterns in the song memory and swaps the different bits to make new songs.
That's cool for generating new and interesting sounds, but not so much for grooves since it is bits and pieces of real songs. I did have an idea of re-writing all the songs and using my own material for the sounds and patterns, but that would be like picking bits of me to make more....me.

Not as cool, but what would really be awesome if there was a true random algorithm that created patterns and sounds etc from pure scratch-
It'd follow some rules so that drums have sorta stable patterns...
iPad apps do this and I have a few desktop programs that generate random goodies. So this could be interesting if ever explored. I've also seen scaled down versions of this system where it takes your pattern and generates additional versions.
The Vyzor soft editors do this 'genetic' patch creation where they mix, morph and mutate the current patch to spawn new ones. That's another reason I have been hoping for some kind of Spectralis Soft Editor.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
spectac

Postby via » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:31 pm

fling wrote:
and: the Spectralis is the fattest sounding beatmachine (after the sp 12/1200 but this is so special and
same time limited). in the world.

Has anyone notice the ring artifacts that come into play when things are pitched down extremely similar to the sp12/1200 ..
A valued try would be to load a kit with high pitched samples and tune them down inside the spectralis and see if we dont have a hidden sp1200 in there .. 8)

On the note of being the great sounding drum-machine, its very clean/hi fi sounding and drums are by nature dirty (expert for some bells and percussion) ... in essence drums are an object being hit by something so we naturally render drums with some dirt versus say; clean strings instruments,..

So I´d really like to say that the spk drum-sound would go a long way if the fx would have waveshaper/decimator/saturation type of effect to dirty its hi-fi drum-sound ...
via

Return to Spectralis experiences and opinions