what do you dislike about the spectralis ?

Totally addicted to your speckie? Not getting the results you expected? Experiencing Problems together with other gear? This is the place to share good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

what do you dislike about the spectralis ?

Postby via » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:05 pm

well topic says it...

for me its the global feed to the analouge section for the drum and Dsynth section ... page 3/4 under volume per part
I'd like to be able to induvidually feed sample parts to the filters and filterbank ...
say I'd just want my kick though the LP and perc through the MM and the Dsynthand Hhats to the filterbank.. etc

also it be fantastic to have individual sends to the 3analouge filters of the MM... would this be possible in the future?
via

Postby revtor » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:31 pm

I love the Spectralis!!!! (machine) it does have its quirks and "tough" parts though, it is not like the average groovebox for sure. But thats fine for me, I have lots of time to figure it all out. I can make sick sounds with my 50% knowledge of it and that only keeps me excited for every time I turn it on. As Jorg said, he took the high road.. - I'm glad he has.

Back on the topic of this post, the manual is the part that needs the most work in my humble opinion.

Perhaps when 1.0 is out and working, Jorg can take a break and we can get an indexed, organized, illustrated, and to-the-point manual organized. It should have less "This is what an envelope generator is" type of thing and be written more like this:

Filterbank:
Description- page 4,
Routing into- page 5,
Routing from- page 6,
Sequencing bands- page 7,
Saving settings- page 8,.. etc..."

There is a multitrack recorder I have been looking at recently (Zoom HD16CD), and it's pretty complex/capable. The way the manual is written is very well done. check it out.
http://www.samsontech.com/products/rela ... manual.pdf
A manual more like this would get everyone started easier with less head scratching. (Hopefully) People who buy an advanced machine like Spectralis should be expected to know the basics of synthesis, midi, sequencing etc. If they don't then there can be a section of the manual to explain these terms, the glossary.

~Steve

Got a date with specki today in 5 hours. I'm going to get the filterbank running some more, and if my SmartMedia card from Ebay arrived, play with loading in some new samples!
revtor

Re: what do you dislike about the spectralis ?

Postby Jörg Schaaf » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:07 pm

via wrote:well topic says it...

for me its the global feed to the analouge section for the drum and Dsynth section ... page 3/4 under volume per part
I'd like to be able to induvidually feed sample parts to the filters and filterbank ...
say I'd just want my kick though the LP and perc through the MM and the Dsynthand Hhats to the filterbank.. etc

also it be fantastic to have individual sends to the 3analouge filters of the MM... would this be possible in the future?

There is a quick and dirty trick doing that right away;-) I posted that trick about two years ago. All you need are two patchcords. The patchcords should connect two individual outputs to the external inputs of the Spectralis. Each external input can be fed independent into the analog section. So you can use the analog feed of the mixer for one target and the two external inputs for two second targets.
New users please check the following link for forum activation:
http://www.forum.radikaltechnologies.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=921
http://www.myspace.com/jorgschaaf
http://www.youtube.com/user/SCHAAFJOERG
Jörg Schaaf

Postby n3wt15 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:02 pm

it should be twice the size with more knobs and buttons for controlling...its way too deep and advanced, which isnt a bad thing, but my first and current impression of the spectralis, is that its user interface need more

and that I cant get rack ears for it, and the sides are scratching up from live use ;-)
n3wt15

Postby revtor » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:07 am

Newt, maybe if there was a computer editor for the thing it would make editing easier... who knows, maybe one day.
~Steve
revtor

Postby via » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:32 am

Damm..that dirty patching is clever.. this should be in the tips n'trix section..

And yes revtor I'm absolutely in love with this box too.. its so beyond anything else... it has no ending :D its forever!!

it should be twice the size with more knobs and buttons for controlling...its way too deep and advance

IMO...and its dam near impossible to fault this thing, but yhea its be fantastic if Radical who make great controllers would make a programmer for the spectralis.. although I find the interface stunningly logical compared to how deep this beast is .. and it will only get better after os fine-tunings..

There is a quick and dirty trick doing that right away;-)

so does that imply it will eventually be possible ... :wink:
via

Postby n3wt15 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:40 am

"
IMO...and its dam near impossible to fault this thing, but yhea its be fantastic if Radical who make great controllers would make a programmer for the spectralis.. although I find the interface stunningly logical compared to how deep this beast is .. and it will only get better after os fine-tunings."

I agree, with what I said I wasnt really trying to bitch about it or anything, but man...if it was twice the length with twice the controls, and a keyboard attached....this thing eould indeed be my stand alone dream machine!

As much fan as I have using it live, every time I play out, i feel that theres always a control I cant access because Im doing something else in the machine already

"Newt, maybe if there was a computer editor for the thing it would make editing easier... who knows, maybe one day.
~Steve"

I was mainly thinking about using it in live situations with what I said, but that would also be fantastic!
n3wt15

Postby apropos of nothing » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:46 am

I wish for more integration between the sequencers. I'd like to be able to live record into the motif sequencer, and then convert the key events to controller changes and then dump that into the pattern sequencer, and then move the whole kit and kaboodle to the parameter sequencer.
apropos of nothing

Postby lisboetas » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:35 pm

+1 to the manual. And even better, a cookbook of sound creation. I'm really stucked with the complexity of the Hibrid synth

apropos of nothing wrote:I wish for more integration between the sequencers. I'd like to be able to live record into the motif sequencer, and then convert the key events to controller changes and then dump that into the pattern sequencer, and then move the whole kit and kaboodle to the parameter sequencer.

+1, but the more I use the current seq, the more I love it

and...

A 'drawback' i see while I'm learning is that a lot of things I would like to tweak in realtime are deep hiden in submenus. It reduces the performancing stuff, wich I think is one of the strongest thing in da maschine

I think the solution could be having the possibilitie of choosing a set of 4 parameters per pattern.
You push the macro button and they are mapped to the 4 encoders under the lcd.
Uff... a dream

Saludos
S.
lisboetas

Postby saikodelic » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:30 pm

hola,

i have to admit: i am spoiled by the speckie.... nearly everything can be done with it - and in a soundquality that is absolutely amazing

the capabilities of the speckie are far beyond normal - Joerg, you are a visionary !

(unfortunately visionaries are sometimes missunderstood... its like giving the small finger and taking the whole hand...) you even offer a forum where everybody can write and ask stuff ... me think its not here to demand smthg (took me a while, this whole discussion about os 1 and so)

:oops: :roll: good luck 4 u
saikodelic

Next

Return to Spectralis experiences and opinions