Spend a day with your Specki

Totally addicted to your speckie? Not getting the results you expected? Experiencing Problems together with other gear? This is the place to share good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Spend a day with your Specki

Postby lloyd40 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:25 am

I had the opportunity to spend the whole day with my specki today. I highly recommend it. I am pretty new to the spectralis in general as I've had mine only about a month.

At this point I have some original patterns that are really opening my eyes to the possibilities here. This is all coming together and I am so very impressed with what this thing can do and especially with the quality and liveness of the sound. This is an intangible quality that the spectralis has that other sound modules / machines do NOT. I can't describe it but the spectralis brings music to life with a quality and authenticity that is hard to find in other machines.

At this point, this machine is delivery exactly what I wanted it to do. It is making me rediscover what is possible rather than rehashing old habits and sounds. I feel like this is a breakthrough. Mind you I am probably not the classic user profile since I am a guitarist primarily. I am using a Terratec Axion Midi interface and a midi enabled strat to input notes. The terratec is a breakthrough in midi guitar interfaces as it is really the first midi interface with guitar that is truly viable and fast enough to play a midi instrument in a natural way. So far I've used almost all the input methods on the specki such as the realtime, the chord sequencer, and the step sequencer, beat grid, etc. The wide range of input methods is awesome.

Thanks Joerg for creating such a product.

Chris
lloyd40

Postby neutron » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:25 am

Yes isnt it something! every time i use it i figure out something, and it does get easier. soon i will have confidence to record an entire tune in realtime with specki.
neutron

Postby revtor » Fri May 23, 2008 4:29 pm

Well the stars were aligned and I managed to get a whole night by myself with no responsibilities.. - Spectralis time!!!

Man, the drum programming grid so great! love the flexibility and ease of changing timings and resloution! You can get a bit lost in the grid if youre up in 96 or 192 land, but its still amazing. I found myself wishing for per-step pitching of the drum samples like has been requested before.. With that I dont think you'd ever have to leave the groove programming section of spectralis, and it would then be in the ranks of "ultimate drum machine" alongside machinedrum and jomox machines (which have none of the goodies that put Speckie in the "ultimate groovebox" category. (a much more prestigeous title : )
I ended up with a great abstract evolving soundscape that never repeated and that I could tweak forever.. all in one pattern!! I think I'm going to dedicate one song to hold these single pattern jams.. Is there copy/paste? once I figure that out, its time to try a whole structured song..

what else... found myself a bit stumped about setting up a sequencerline to play the d-synth, couldn't find it as a target.. not sure if this can be done or only as a Motif.. ?

All the different envelopes everywhere on the hybridsynth are starting to make a bit more sense.. I'm in no rush to master it, since even at my level of understanding (medium) it is still producing amazing results.

And I still haven't gotten to the filterbank.. its another area I really look forward to exploring - once I am more fluent in the other parts. It will be the whipped cream ontop, subtle tuning and sculpting the sounds ... or actually will probably get extreme pretty fast and lead to whole new worlds of sonic mayhem.

I sold 90% of my modular gear in an effort to make myself more portable and eliminate the headaches of my DIY fever.. I looked to Spectralis as the simplification and distillation of it all into one box. Seeing where and who it came from, I was convinced it would be the right move. Last night reaffirmed this notion!!

THANKS JORG for the beste Musikmaschine auf der Planetenerde!!!

~Steve
revtor

Postby lloyd40 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:44 pm

revtor wrote:Well the stars were aligned and I managed to get a whole night by myself with no responsibilities.. - Spectralis time!!!

found myself a bit stumped about setting up a sequencerline to play the d-synth, couldn't find it as a target.. not sure if this can be done or only as a Motif.. ?

Hmm, I responded to this one but the response got lost, so here goes again.

Awesome when the stars align for a good session. That's when you really appreciate the Specki for sure.

As far as sequencing the DSYN, that is no prob.

Select "Target" in "Sequence Edit" section.

Turn the first encoded beyond L12 until it says "CREATE?" underneath. Click the encoder to create a new assignment. You can also just reuse an existing assignment.

Turn encoder 2 to read "DSYN"

Fourth encoder to read "DNote"

Click 4th encoder.
Select DsPart 1-15. The DSYN parts are 13-15, but you can select Drum parts as well here.
lloyd40

Postby revtor » Wed May 28, 2008 9:03 pm

Thanks lloyd... Im sure I could have waded through the manual but having it here spelled out is great..

now once my truck is running right.. and my motorcycle is running right.. - the stars may align once again!!

~Steve - off to work on my greasy engine :evil:
revtor

Congratulation

Postby Dayflight » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:15 am

Hi folks,
you are right. The Specki is a real music monster machine. So much to explore and with V. 1.0 even comes more! :D
Dayflight

Postby pix » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:36 am

totally agreed!

I've been sort of musically paralyzed for about a year and the speckie is making me have fun again making music. It's an amazing workstation and the sound is as goos as it gets. When using good samples it almost need to ext processing.

If Joerg implements a nice delay and distortion on it I won't be needing anything else.
pix

Postby Jörg Schaaf » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:35 pm

pix wrote:totally agreed!

If Joerg implements a nice delay and distortion on it I won't be needing anything else.

Andreas is doing that very soon. The firmware is progressing everyday...
New users please check the following link for forum activation:
http://www.forum.radikaltechnologies.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=921
http://www.myspace.com/jorgschaaf
http://www.youtube.com/user/SCHAAFJOERG
Jörg Schaaf

Postby minimal spec » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:44 am

I understand this was discussed before and until a certain extend in see the point, BUT It would be great to have a really "crappy", old school 80's REVERB. Maybe Andreas could get us a real low CPU verb? :)
minimal spec

Postby via » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:30 pm

I agree with the consept that a bad reverb will not fit with the specs quality image,

but a carppy low-bit 80´s reverb.... dam thats a great idea!! fits nicely with the dark club vibe of the machine..
.. bring on the lofi...
via

Next

Return to Spectralis experiences and opinions