Spectralis Mk1 - availability + second hand price.

Share your ideas, sounds, patterns, samples and tips here!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Spectralis Mk1 - availability + second hand price.

Postby VennDiagram » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:40 pm

Hi all,
I sold my Spectralis 2 on here some time back and been running a combination of the Analog Four, MnMSFX60MkII & MnMSFX60Mk2(with plus drive) but and thinking I would do without one Monomachine and am in a better head space to tackle and tame a Spectralis again.
However I'd be more interested in a Mk1 over a Mk2.
What are the going rates for Mk1 Spectralis units at the moment.
If anyone is selling let me know.
Thanks,
Oscar.
Monomachine x 2
Analog Four
Evolver
Roland V-Synth
Roland JD-XA
Kilpatrick Audio Phenol
E-Mu Morpheus
Logic X
Ableton Live w/Max4Live
Reaktor
Aalto & Kaivo
Tassman 4
VennDiagram

Re: Spectralis Mk1 - availability + second hand price.

Postby acemonvw » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:16 pm

I've seen them go anywhere from $600 to $1200. Pretty big range, maybe price has gone up due to new OS update.

One place to check would be guitar center's used gear. Sometimes they have them at a reduced price because they don't know what the spectralis is. However, I just checked and there are none there.

However, if you'd like a Spectralis refrigerator magnet to pretend with for a while, check here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radikal-Spectra ... SwPc9Wt-PT
acemonvw

Postby acemonvw » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:19 pm

The 'sold' listings on eBay show that one sold for $750 USD.

The Spectralis 2 is selling for $1200.

Unless you're really strapped for cash, I don't know why you wouldn't go for the Spectralis 2. I prefer the look of the MK1 too, but there is now a fix for the LP filter (it wasn't opening up all the way) and you have performance folders on the MK2 which I think are worth the upgrade.

RT will get to the updates on the Mk1 someday, but I think those folders (i.e., up to 255 folders with 32 songs made up of 32 patterns each) are too important for me to go without.
acemonvw

Postby VennDiagram » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:05 am

acemonvw wrote:The 'sold' listings on eBay show that one sold for $750 USD.

The Spectralis 2 is selling for $1200.

Unless you're really strapped for cash, I don't know why you wouldn't go for the Spectralis 2. I prefer the look of the MK1 too, but there is now a fix for the LP filter (it wasn't opening up all the way) and you have performance folders on the MK2 which I think are worth the upgrade.

RT will get to the updates on the Mk1 someday, but I think those folders (i.e., up to 255 folders with 32 songs made up of 32 patterns each) are too important for me to go without.

Some really solid information there.
So there have been more than a few changes since I last owned one (the folders feature sounds great).
I may have found one locally that I can check out in the middle of August (fingers crossed and yes it's a Mk2).
Thanks for the detailed reply.
Monomachine x 2
Analog Four
Evolver
Roland V-Synth
Roland JD-XA
Kilpatrick Audio Phenol
E-Mu Morpheus
Logic X
Ableton Live w/Max4Live
Reaktor
Aalto & Kaivo
Tassman 4
VennDiagram

Postby acemonvw » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:59 am

Think of the Performz folders as the 'plus drive' for the monomachine. I don't own that plus drive and it sucks with my monomachine. I have my 128 patterns and that's it. I have to unload it all if I want new tracks.

The Spectralis 2 has a very easy to use folder system. I don't know how the Spectralis 1 will work, though it could be a much more interesting system, whereby a 'performz folder' along with its associated samples are in a given CF card.

I think I would perhaps like that system, because with the Spectralis 2, you have to import all your samples that you want for that performance into the PerformZ folder. In this respect, you will have redundant files taking up space on your internal harddrive. The SD cards on the Spectralis 2 are useless, so the proposed system in the Spectralis 1 will never make its way to the Spectralis 2. Of course, the Spectralis 2 has everything in the box. You don't NEED to swap out cards. But as long as you manage your sample library per performance folder... you're doing well, plus, it's 4gb, so a lot of space.

I actually rarely use internal samples, so I'm not filling up my harddrive very much.

Hope that helps.
acemonvw

Postby VennDiagram » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:41 am

Yes, it helps immensely.
Monomachine x 2
Analog Four
Evolver
Roland V-Synth
Roland JD-XA
Kilpatrick Audio Phenol
E-Mu Morpheus
Logic X
Ableton Live w/Max4Live
Reaktor
Aalto & Kaivo
Tassman 4
VennDiagram

Postby VennDiagram » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:40 am

I have found a local one for sale but need to offload one f my Monomachine's and the Phenol to get it.
Wish me luck.
Monomachine x 2
Analog Four
Evolver
Roland V-Synth
Roland JD-XA
Kilpatrick Audio Phenol
E-Mu Morpheus
Logic X
Ableton Live w/Max4Live
Reaktor
Aalto & Kaivo