OLCD mod for the spectralis

Share your ideas, sounds, patterns, samples and tips here!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

OLCD mod for the spectralis

Postby via » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:40 am

Ok so I want to do some cosmetic mods to my spectralis, replace the LCD with an Oled LCD ... I also want to replace some of the green leds with color leds ( to indicate modes clearer and give for a more funky 808ish look ..

I know Gonzini dd a LCD replacement, I guess my question is what type of Oled am I looking for? concerning power and compatability? .. same for led lights .. is there a set LED standard I am looking for, or are they all the same?

Thx!

I´m also getting a custom paint job ;) ... yes, I luv my spectralis
via

Re: OLCD mod for the spectralis

Postby Gonzini » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:16 pm

Thought I'd log back into the forum after a year or something, I was struggling to remember my username / password......
Wondered what was new, same old firmware update pipe dreams.
Anyway, as for LCD or converting to OLED.
You need to find a HD44780 based controller chip or equivalent. Where you might come unstuck once that's in place is the timing of the data signals. Not sure what the spec was on the original LCD but the blue LCD I fitted seems be be fine.
I always thought VFD would look great in there but current draw might be a bit of an issue and physically fitting the module in there with available space.
Also I had to reverse the LED backlight on the module I fitted and adjust the forward current as it was a bit high. Might not be an issue with an OLED module.
You need a 2 X 40 character display.
Gonzini

Postby via » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:26 pm

N1ce mate!
Thanks for the login effort ;) and the very informative post, (the VFD display is a nice tip) ..
I´ll post some I ides after I look at options..
Cheers for the repy!! .. (like getting water in the desert ;)
via

Postby Gonzini » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:25 pm

No worries, does seem very quiet here at the moment. I should dig the spectralis out again, it's been a while. Been a lot of changes going on this year so not much time for anything music wise anyway.
I'll drop by here a bit more often
Gonzini

Postby via » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:50 am

Ok ... this project got delayed a bit .. but hopefully I´ll have this done in the next weeks ... just before I order the LCD I want to make sure it´s 100% comparable, I followed your guide lines Gonzini but I just want get this confirmed by someone that knows electronics, as it be bitch to order this and rip out the OLD LCD only to realize it doesn´t work ..

Specifications
Display technology OLED
Display kind Character
Character x Line 40x2
Number of colors 1
Text color Yellow
Display color OLED Yellow/Black
Panel type PMOLED
Assembly type COB
Contrast ratio 2000 : 1
Lifetime 100000 hours
Brightness 90 cd/m²
Interface type TTL (8-bit)
Duty jan-16
Character size Heigth: 5.55 (mm)
Width: 3.05 (mm)
Dimensions Length: 182 (mm)
Width: 38.5 (mm)
Height: 9.3 (mm)
Operating temperature -40 to +80 °C
Viewing angle 160-160 H° - V°
Display controller WS0010
Voltage 5 DC V

http://texim-europe.com/product/WEH0040 ... N00000-WSR

via

Postby acemonvw » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:33 pm

Did anyone ever help you get this? The idea sounds super cool. I'd love to have a better screen on my Spectralis.
acemonvw

Postby Gonzini » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:09 am

Just thought I'd stop by, its been a while....
Had a look at the WS0010 controller chip and HD44780 compatibility.
In theory it could work but there will be some differences. Whether these will be enough to be a non starter is hard to predict without having a play with one, you might just have to bite the bullet and try one.
I haven't looked through the whole data sheet and setup for the WS0010 but their supposed to be based on the HD44780 as far as i can tell.
Gonzini

Postby via » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:01 am

This project never got started, first the OLED was out of stock, 2nd my tech took off right before we could do anything (he was going to fix my desk first and foremost, it was at his lab for like 6 weeks, nada thing happen) he left to catch a seminar on how to build a self contained biohome down in Norway or Sweden somewhere, then he was/is going find him self spiritually (apparently his astral protector showed him the way last time he was cleansing his spirit tripping on some Ayahuasca, his spirit guardian is apparently somkind of a huge bug; basically some man size beadle or a cricket showed up and gave him his calling, last I heard he was down in Ecuador (undoubtedly walking on some hot coals) and I have no idea when he is returning, hope all the best for him on his journey.

So that´s what you get, when your tech does Ayahuasca trips .. :lol:

Still no excuse, it´s embarrassing that I haven´t gotten this done yet, it was such a sure thing when I started the thread, I was on a payroll and my stuff was with my tech in the lab... also embarrassing I stated I was going to do some spectralis videos somewhere on the forum, then my gopro package got stolen on set (we where only like 5 on set + me and the director and someone nikked it .. I just can´t believe that happened, still not much of an excuse, in all honesty it all falls down to me being broke as a joke.

I want to thank you again Gonzini for the valued info, indeed it will come in handy at the right point in time. I will pimp this thing up (not just for the pimpin part) but also to have a more visual feed back in dark setting (live).

So my apologies... when this happens, the first heads up post will be this thread
via

Return to Spectralis User Community