Send pitch and modulation from controller thru spectralis?

Questions and Answers concerning the spectralis!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Send pitch and modulation from controller thru spectralis?

Postby acemonvw » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:51 pm

I use the spectralis as my main sequencer and have my accelerator hooked up to it (midi out from Accelerator to midi in on spectralis). I then send midi out from the spectralis to my other gear. However, pitch bend and modulation won't get sent out to my other gear... is there a way to accomplish this so that I can use these features on my other gear? I'm guessing I'd need to use midi thru to really do what I wanted, but it makes more sense to use midi out so that the sequencer data from my spectralis goes to that gear appropriately.
acemonvw

Re: Send pitch and modulation from controller thru spectrali

Postby via » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:13 pm

The sp should record Mod and Pitch wheel data on motif tracks .. if your playing real time you need to be on the selected midi track when play with the weels ... how it works in practice I don´t know, my sp is stuck waiting for flash OS and I´ve been too bussy with other things to fix it and set up the studio so I can´t test this .. you should be using midi out, or you can use a midi merger if your looking to bypass the weel data through the spectralis without being on the selcetd midi track within the sp..
via

Postby acemonvw » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:15 pm

It seems like the spectralis will record mod/pitch wheel data when it's for internal synth parts, but I don't think it will for external MIDI gear.

I think that's the problem. I could use a midi merger, I suppose, but it wouldn't be ideal with my setup.
acemonvw

Postby via » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:11 am

Ok .. sorry, I assumed it would work for external gear, ..and your right on the midi merger it´s far from ideal as you would need to mute the corresponding track in the sp etc .. it would be a mess ..

So I guess the follow up question would be a classic: whats up with the new testing firmwhare program that RT got and released a few updates in a row and stated the big one was coming..?,

we are all willing to support it so it be financially viable for the company..

dunno I said I´d never ask for anything ever again after the last update but it´s so close to being perfect: lfo restart, fill mode, copy paste, overdub and chord step, menu structure and HZ values display and that phat lady will never stop singing ..
via

Postby acemonvw » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:20 pm

I'm guessing there's only like 5 Spectralis users who frequent this forum enough and would ACTUALLY contribute money to help push out an OS. And I also bet the cost we'd each put in would be equivalent to... $100-$200 USD? Maybe more?

I doubt that would help them get the money needed to push an OS out. Not saying there aren't a lot of Spectralis users, but I think people who have the money, or who would want to spend their money on an OS update, would be pretty limited.

I think they're focusing on generating revenue through the eurorack stuff right now. I'd happily buy these things - but I promised myself I'd never get into modulars. If I do, I'll be screwed. I'd just have a huge modular system and just stare at it making blips and bleeps that look cool, but sound awful.

I know me.

As far as pitch and modulation? I guess I'll just go without. I don't think this is a limitation of the Spectralis (I'm not sure any other sequencers I have do this either). I was just hoping there was a configuration I was missing! Thanks via.
acemonvw

Postby via » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:28 pm

There a few hundred units out there :!: .. if the problem of funding is dishonest users sharing the OS through uploads /torrents, doing a kickstart project whereas a certain financial threshold is reached before its released could be a valid option, if there is no other way of selling the OS per unit.. although I would think that could be coded /one access key per each OS download ..dunno

Anyway I wish them all the best, this unit was way ahead of its time and one would think RT would take pride in finishing this groundbreaking groovebox ..there still nothing on the market that directly compares in sound or features, its an extremely serious platform, even the big companies have not caught up .. one would think that OS update/ advancements could be use on their Jubilee version if that ever came into fruition, its after all now a 10year old UI.. a more direct UI with updated features would be so 2020, their modular fx and OSC have some nifty features..

Still by far my favorite piece of kit and after the last OS update most shortcoming can be addressed in a studio environment .. I´m a proud user and always will be, can´t wait to take this out live!
via

Postby acemonvw » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:59 pm

I totally agree with you.

I wasn't implying people would torrent or steal the OS. I'm saying that many people would not even know that we were pitching in to finance it - and even if they did, they may not have the money to support it. Also, I don't think RT is too keen on the whole 'user funding' of an OS update anyway. I think this is not going to happen. RT will update at some point, I'm sure.

I always hoped that by making demos of it - I'd generate a lot of interest. However, unfortunately, I only seem to generate interest in something like the MC-303. Maybe because that unit is so dirt cheap? I don't know. I think people don't even think to search for the spectralis, so how do you generate interest in something that people don't even know to look for?

Anyway, I'm proud to own my Spectralis. It is the center of my studio and has helped me create music I'd never have dreamed of. Every other sequencer I've used feels so rigid in comparison.
acemonvw

Return to Helpdesk