Spectralis crashing :(

Questions and Answers concerning the spectralis!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Spectralis crashing :(

Postby thetechnobear » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:22 pm

Hi,

is there a list of things known to crash the Spectalis?
(Ive now had the spec crash a couple of times now... so would like to know what to avoid)

One is easy to reproduce - i have it when trying to sequence cutoff on dsyn
- blank song/pattern etc.
- Seq Edit - Target
- Create Dsyn/VCF/Cutoff - Dsyn3 (Line 17)
- Seq Edit -Func, line 17 (or whatever above created)
- select num button, dial encoder

in the last step, random characters appear when you turn encoder...
after repeating a couple of times (3-4), crashes unit... the whole unit flashes, message waiting to flash over midi
(fatal error 03, PC 0C , flags 05)

Does this mean its impossible to automate/sequence the cutoff for the dsyn ?

This is on a Spec 1/1.04K... can others reproduce ?

hmm, bit concerned now... I don't mind 'missing features' but an unstable sequencer is very concerning,
I need to know what is problematic so i don't accidentally activate it, and end up with silence....
thetechnobear

Re: Spectralis crashing :(

Postby blacksun » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:50 pm

pretty sure the sequencer lines can only be used to control note on/off on the dsynth, the other options were left in there by mistake or as a taster.
There is a different sequencer you can use with the dsynth parts though.
SPectralis has 3 sequencers, the step sequencer you've been using, the groove sequencer and the motif sequencer (for want of a better name).
blacksun

Postby thetechnobear » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:32 pm

thanks yeah I'm using all three... :)

unfortunately, what I wanted to do was to 'automate' the dsynths cutoff , so has to be a seq line (no?)
... or not, if it doesn't work :(
thetechnobear

Postby acemonvw » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:39 pm

You definitely can't sequence the dsynth cutoff.

But you can sequence the Analog filters. Plus, if you'd like, you could route the Dsynth parts through the analog filters and then sequence the cutoff of it, so still do something similar to what you're doing.

You should also be able to modulate the Cutoff for the Dsynth using mod wheel, but I don't recall getting particularly good results with this method. Like it gunked up the whole sequencer or something (as a motif).

I wish I knew what else screwed up my Spectralis. I know you can modulate VCO settings like pitch, etc using the sequencer lines, but unsure of a lot of other settings. I'd have to go through and test each one and watch it crash my system, which I'm a bit hesitant to do!
acemonvw

Postby thetechnobear » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:10 pm

yeah, I played some more with the seq of cutoff and res on dsynth, you can enter them without crashing, if you edit the step, and using menu, rather than turning step encoder. BUT it doesnt actually do anything, so no go.

thanks, yeah I'm familiar with routing to the analog filters, but already have plans for those, but will keep it in mind.

modwheel, yeah, i concur, it does get recorded, but as you say it then seems to get confused, sounds like the current MW value may be offsetting the the recorded motif MW, and if you move the mod wheel you get some horrible crackling noises.
.. not really useable. (nice to know it works though for non-recording, and also that AT works too)

at the moment, Im still feeling my way around, discovering the way I want to go about using the Spectalis,
I knew the Speccy had a few quirks... I feel my task, is to work out its strengths and play to those (rather than focus on the quirks), and already found plenty of great things to keep me busy and to nicely team up with my TI :)

currently I'm thinking the dsynth might be used for a few pads and perhaps natural acoustics sounds, where modulation is less an issue for me (or can be from perhaps a slow LFO) ... so no big thing.

I was a little surprised at the lack of seq lines targets, I expected alot more, but theres enough to keep me happy :)
thetechnobear

Postby sicks » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:14 am

Ok...

How about creating a sequencer line for the dsynth then placing the notes on the desired steps then dialling in various velocity values using the encoders, then go to the filter and choose velocity for the modulation source...
sicks

Postby thetechnobear » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:12 pm

I'm sure that would work, but I was trying to create use the cutoff to follow a different rhythm to the melody to add interest , I can't do that if I use note velocity as the modulation source.
anyways, no matter, it is, what it is... as I said, in this scenario a slow LFO will have a similar effect.
thetechnobear

Postby acemonvw » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:06 pm

sicks wrote:Ok...

How about creating a sequencer line for the dsynth then placing the notes on the desired steps then dialling in various velocity values using the encoders, then go to the filter and choose velocity for the modulation source...

That's a really good idea. I hadn't thought about that!
acemonvw

Return to Helpdesk