copy pattern to another?

Questions and Answers concerning the spectralis!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

copy pattern to another?

Postby thetechnobear » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:21 pm

Hi,

so Ive got the basics down, when I use one pattern...
now I want to move to the second pattern

Is there a way of copying pattern 1 to 2?

currently if I switch to pattern 2, then its blank... so the music stops, I can then copy motifs in from #1
ok, if Im prepping everything up front, but not if Im trying to build it live.

this is kind of what I do with Live... duplicate the current scene, then move to it, and change it.
of course, I recognise the workflow will be different, but I'm struggling to think, how to move on to a variation, yet keep other parts the same. I was kind of looking for a 'save motif into Current song, different pattern, part X'

thoughts... or a different approach?

cheers
Mark
(Spec 1, 104K)
thetechnobear

Re: copy pattern to another?

Postby thetechnobear » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:48 pm

ok, worked it out ... save pattern -> song
now only 'odd' thing is if you reset a pattern to init, it seems to still show it as used (when you hit save), but thats no big issue :)
thetechnobear

Postby acemonvw » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:11 pm

You're getting this machine down pretty fast thetechnobear!

I don't think I ever reset a pattern to init after I've started working on a song, it would seem almost impossible to get it to sound similar to the other patterns. I usually just re-write parts to sound different in a pattern that I want changed.
acemonvw

Postby thetechnobear » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:38 pm

he he... yeah I like digging into things like this :)

Im still trying to find my 'workflow' though, and in particular how I can use it in a live/jamming way... (which is my goal)

most things are falling into place...
this copying, gives me the way I can build variations (almost like scenes are done in ableton), and change individual parts as I move forward. I really like the way the pattern holds everything, its such a simple but powerful approach.

one thing I've not worked out yet, is how when Im doing a variation, how I can extend a 'motif' which is already playing...
its not an issue with parts I play in realtime, but with drum beats/sequencer lines, it seems that if you extend a motif it gets filled with empty 'notes/triggers'... rather than extending the existing motif into the new length.
my issue is this means that part goes 'quiet' whilst I extend it.

e.g.
say you have a simple CLHH motif on 1 bar, and you decide in the next pattern, to extend it to 4 bars, 1,2,4 are the same and 3 has a fill. this issue I have, as soon as I extend it to 4.. in bars 2,3,4 the CLHH is now silent, until I get in to add the triggers.

(compare this to the Ableton Push approach, you would double the 1 bar to 2, then double it again to 4... so you now have 4 identical bars, then you just go back to bar 3 and add the fill in... so the CLHH never stops)

the only way I can think to do this, is to copy the motif into a muted 'spare' part, edit it, and then copy it back, seems a bit complex, but perhaps I can 'practice' this, to make it feel natural.

thoughts?

(ps. not trying to copy abletons workflow, just understand how I can manage the variations/development of the piece on the fly... just using ableton as an example as I know it :))
thetechnobear

Return to Helpdesk