Keyboard mystery

Questions and Answers concerning the spectralis!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Keyboard mystery

Postby EZB » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:59 pm

I connected a Remote SL MK2 to the Spectralis 2 to play a few notes. I try to play on an init preset of the A-Synth.

However, it seems there is some keyboard splitting done or something
When I am in the octave range -4 to -1 I hear sounds. From 0 to 3 I don't hear anything.
From 4 to 5 I hear something again.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?
EZB

Re: Keyboard mystery

Postby silentake » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:10 pm

Similar on a M-Audio Keystation 49e. Have to switch to its uppermost octave selection and am only capable of playing three octaves (cis2 to c5). The first octave (c1 to c2) stays silent. Furthermore, the last five notes on the keyboard (gis4 to c5) repeat the same pitch as an octave before (gis3 to c4). Already did a factory reset on the Keystation but the behavior with the Spectralis didn't change.

Got some other gear in the basement, will check out if the 'mystery' is reproducible.
Spectralis 2, OS 1.71
silentake

Postby via » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:07 am

Just cheeked ... full keyspan here ... are you guys sure you aran´t just listening to the filter keytracking (the filter will close/open dependent on keyrange ... try opening the filter completely or adjust keytracking (shortcut= shift+reso)

Dunno if you guys are running mk2 1.5 ?... if it´s not your filter tracking that´s doing the effect, this could be some kind of reserved thing from 1.5 (quasimidi used to do stuff like that, the old Raven for instance had notes do mutes, if I remember right, and I did ask Jörg many years ago (before I got my spectralis) if triggering of steplines would be possible from an external seq (this would need 2x octives (24x lines).. but right now my money is on your keytrack settings ;)
via

Postby silentake » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:18 am

Yep, running OS1.5 on a Spectralis 2. Funny thing: created a PERFORMZ folder to test the ambient soundbank. Into this folder i got full keyboard range :shock:. Back into root directory, same restricted behavior as described above.

via wrote:are you guys sure you aran´t just listening to the filter keytracking (the filter will close/open dependent on keyrange ... try opening the filter completely or adjust keytracking (shortcut= shift+reso)

Thanks, will check this out - usually the 'error' is sitting in front of the hardware :wink:. Still in the learning process with the Spectralis, have to look up most things again and again in the manual, or watch acemonvw's video tutorials.

If it comes to theory, i'm a total noob in sound synthesis, modulation, etc., but learned a lot about it in the last view weeks. Got a Quasimidi Sirius in 1997 (drove to a branch store in Leichlingen to get one) and never had to watch in the manual. Just turned the knobs, listened and remembered what happend. So the Sirius to me was something comparable to a 'girlfriend' when i was in a younger age; having fun and make some practical experience, all the intiutive way. Now the Spectralis is more like my 'wife', i have to learn deeper and understand more of what's going on, a serious relationship, with it's highs and lows (but still own and appreciate my Sirius, just for it's easy handling and getting straight to the point :mrgreen:).
Spectralis 2, OS 1.71
silentake

Postby silentake » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:00 pm

Adjusting the keyscaling didn't work. The problem still persists, but only within the default/root directory. There it concerns every part: HSynth, DSynths, Drums, etc. Like said above, when switching to a PERFORMZ folder, i got full keyboard range, in all parts.

Thinking about a wipe and setting thinks back to a fresh start for the Specki - not sure, but i'm at least the third owner of this machine, if there weren't more..
Spectralis 2, OS 1.71
silentake

Postby via » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:15 am

Hmm.. ok sounds like you´ve located a problem, incomparable files or corrupt files have caused me some lock up problems in the past, as soon as I deleted those files everything was 100% ..
via

Postby silentake » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:22 pm

Did some further testing and have to correct myself: it has nothing to do with the directories.

Doesn't matter if you're into the main directory or a PERFORMZ folder. Just a coincidence that the mentioned songs of the ambient soundbank did work proper in a PERFORMZ folder; they did also after moving them into root directory. The strange keyboard behavior on the factory songs appeared also after copying them into a PERFORMZ folder.

There seems to be some key splitting thing, like the op says. Usually would guess there are some false global settings on the keyboard, if not this behavior differs from song to song and (here i have to correct myself again) from part to part. Tried to change midi settings within a songs *.ini file, but that didn't fix the problem.

Is there any sub-menue within the Spectralis, where keyboard splitting or something like that can be adjusted?
Spectralis 2, OS 1.71
silentake

Postby ModularOverkill » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:25 am

I've run into this exact problem using the latest OS (1.71) on a Speckie 2.

Master keyboard - Novation Ultranova

It manifests 100% repeatable by sending on MIDI Channel 1. MIDI CH 1 should always play the current part, however it does NOT, instead it plays different parts depending on the key you press. Specifically:

middle C - part 9
C# - part 10
D - part 11
> F - selected part
D-1 - part
C-2 - part 1
C#-2 - part 2
D-2 - part 3
etc. etc.

If I send MIDI CH 2-16 it plays the proper part, just MIDI CH 1. Note that it's not playing the drum parts and the selected part, it's just playing the drum part.

Originally I was getting a whistle/sine tone but then realized that was only because I didn't have sounds loaded in the various parts. Once I loaded sounds I figured out what was going on.

As you can imagine, this is a bit of a deal breaker of a bug since I can't use my external keyboard properly without changing channels constantly =/
ModularOverkill

Postby Jörg Schaaf » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:22 am

Hmm - ever thought, that this behaviour is maybe not a bug, but a feature? :D

The Spectralis has a special drumset function for incoming MIDI messages. That allows for the triggering of all the drumparts with one MIDI Channel. That makes it easier to create a drumgrid in your DAW that triggers the drums of the Spectralis. Normally you are not using MIDI Channel 1 for this feature as that causes the midi master channel 1 only to work above the drumpart triggering. It's much better to use a MIDI Channel between 2 and 12 (one of the drumparts).

The drumset trigger feature is the first parameter in the system menu. It just says Drum: 1
Turn the encoder to the right to set this feature off.

The parameters of the system menu are stored inside the spectralis.ini file on the flash memory. If one copies the file from someone else into the root directory or a PERFORMZ folder of your machine, the Spectralis will run with the settings inside that file. So - in case it happens again. Just edit the Spectralis.ini by changing the parameter in the system menu. The ini file gets updated automatic.
New users please check the following link for forum activation:
http://www.forum.radikaltechnologies.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=921
http://www.myspace.com/jorgschaaf
http://www.youtube.com/user/SCHAAFJOERG
Jörg Schaaf

Postby ModularOverkill » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:23 am

Whoa, okay, thanks! Is this, er, documented anywhere? Spent most of today browsing the manual trying to figure out what happened =/
ModularOverkill

Next

Return to Helpdesk