Buglist in OS 1.5 (UPDATE: Dec 14th 2014, new bugs)

Questions and Answers concerning the spectralis!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Buglist in OS 1.5 (UPDATE: Dec 14th 2014, new bugs)

Postby acemonvw » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:32 pm

As of January 6th, we have identified 3 bugs (please confirm these and even test with a Speckie 1 to see if things have changed from 1.04K):

Bug #1 (found recently): Attempting to format an SD card within the Spectralis causes total formatting of the internal CF card as well. DO NOT FORMAT YOUR SD CARD WITH OS 1.5!!!! Joerg has confirmed this as well. Format your SD card on your computer using FAT16 (this can be done on both windows and mac, but is much easier via windows).
See the following thread for more details:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2943

BUG #2: Upon starting a new song, Groove edit (drums) sequencing external gear CANNOT be muted.[/u]
REPLICATE: Select a drum part and have it sequence an external drum machine (MIDI out... to ch 5 or whatever). Place a few notes on the Drum sequencer, press play to ensure notes being activated. Go to mute and then mute the part. You will find that you can't actually mute it. If I save the song, and THEN come back to it, suddenly... it works!

BUG#3 (from moosiqpipl): Velocity is being ignored when recording motifs through Chordrec- or Steprec-Mode.
You will be blown away by a 127 velo, which leads to surprising results - epecilally when working with very dynamic sounds :D
Velocity of motifs recorded in the above mentioned modes will only be affected if you edit the velocity in the VCA section of the sample to values < 0.

BUG#4 (from mcbeth303): In my case the Spectralis will not boot when it receives midi signals while booting.

~~~~~~~~~Items below have been addressed but will remain here for the sake of keeping info together~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Before reading this, I will say that the update so far is definitely worth it for SP2 owners. There are no NEW bugs that I can think of, and more perhaps a 'wishlist' to improve these features. So... Upgrade happily!

1. Cannot shut off the 'feature' "Ask to change song". This isn't really a bug, but I rarely accidentally switch songs so having this feature is an extra unnecessary step. Would prefer to have a dialog asking to turn it on or off if I choose. --> This is a 'feature' not really a bug. Jörg mentioned elsewhere that he would like to improve this feature, :)

2. Selecting [DynAll] does NOT cause all files to become DYN. It does nothing. You still have to manually change each file to DYN.
This was not listed in the updates so this ISN'T a feature yet implemented.

3. Pressing play when song loads will play muted parts unless pattern mode selected first.

Jörg Schaaf wrote:That's not a bug, it's a feature... ;-)

That has not changed at all. Pressing start without loading the pattern data plays the current pattern with the last mute settings. When using the unit in pattern mode (without a song chain) please always select the pattern first.

CONFIRMED to not have been working before (in 1.04K). Funny that I NEVER noticed this!

Items 4 and 5 have been removed upon Joerg's request, they are not bugs (the step sequencer NEVER activated the arp).

Thank you!
Last edited by acemonvw on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 23 times in total.
acemonvw

Re: (Potential) buglist in OS 1.5

Postby acemonvw » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:08 pm

Can someone using 1.04 confirm or deny if this is occurring in their spectralis? Just create a motif or a simple drum pattern, save after muting those parts and then reload the song. Stay in song mode and push play.

Thanks!
acemonvw

Postby jizzmaster2000 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:40 pm

I will after I have my coffee, have you all gone to sleep,or are you all messing with your Spec :mrgreen: :: :arrow: :twisted:
Jeremy
Melbourne
jizzmaster2000

Postby acemonvw » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:29 pm

Thanks for checking for me!

I haven't actually noticed much difference between them. I don't know how to select between different performances or even how to make them.

Other than that, things seem fairly the same. Which is good, I think.
acemonvw

Postby acemonvw » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:58 am

jizzmaster2000 wrote:I will after I have my coffee, have you all gone to sleep,or are you all messing with your Spec :mrgreen: :: :arrow: :twisted:

I sent you a PM in response to your PM, not sure if you got it. Let me know if you can check the 'bug' I listed!

Greatly appreciate it!
acemonvw

Postby ziopad » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:25 am

acemonvw wrote:Can someone using 1.04 confirm or deny if this is occurring in their spectralis? Just create a motif or a simple drum pattern, save after muting those parts and then reload the song. Stay in song mode and push play.

Thanks!

In spite of my enthusiasm for the update, I'm still on 1.04 and will be until the weekend (at least). I just tested this functionality and it seems to behave as Jorg describes: the part muting isn't recognized. It's funny I haven't run across this before, but all the muting I've done has been on patterns 2-32 and I haven't really created any song chains before, so the only times I've played a pattern with mutes are when I've been in "pattern" mode rather than "song" mode.

I'm not really clear how this is a feature rather than a bug, but there are lots of things I'm still learning about this machine...
ziopad

Postby acemonvw » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:29 am

ziopad wrote:
acemonvw wrote:Can someone using 1.04 confirm or deny if this is occurring in their spectralis? Just create a motif or a simple drum pattern, save after muting those parts and then reload the song. Stay in song mode and push play.

Thanks!

In spite of my enthusiasm for the update, I'm still on 1.04 and will be until the weekend (at least). I just tested this functionality and it seems to behave as Jorg describes: the part muting isn't recognized. It's funny I haven't run across this before, but all the muting I've done has been on patterns 2-32 and I haven't really created any song chains before, so the only times I've played a pattern with mutes are when I've been in "pattern" mode rather than "song" mode.

I'm not really clear how this is a feature rather than a bug, but there are lots of things I'm still learning about this machine...

Hey, thanks so much for checking that out ziopad. That's really really odd. I honestly NEVER realized that it was a problem before. Funny how much more aware we are of everything when an update comes. I'm glad to see that this is NOT a bug of the new system. I'll change the original back. I very much appreciate your help.

I'm working on some documentation in another folder so you can see what new things are available and how to deal with them. You won't notice anything huge, the Arp is working (haven't tested that), but otherwise, things are pretty much the same around here. The performance mode will be really cool when we figure it out a bit more!
acemonvw

Postby ziopad » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:51 am

Nice to see that your videos haven't been rendered obsolete! :wink: I've read through the change log and I assume I'm not going to understand a lot of it until I install the update and really dig into it. It's great to see the work you're doing gathering questions and summarizing the most important mods and fixes.

On this particular issue with muting, it makes sense to me that this wouldn't really be apparent until there's the possibility of changing seamlessly from one song to the next. With the previous sample management system, it seems like the workflow was really focused on either 1) getting right into pattern mode and performing from there, or 2) "composing out" the changes in a song structure so that you wouldn't necessarily need to have a bunch of parts muted on the first pattern (i.e., you through-compose a series of patterns and then improvise--more or less--by interrupting the series of patterns). I say this speculatively, since I've never really created a song chain with a linear progression of patterns. I have the impression that the new sample management system could really change one's compositional workflow. Fortunately, I'm new enough at this machine that I haven't many habits to break. Not sure if that makes any sense--I'm rather knackered ATM. In any case, I'll be very curious to hear how you and some of the others here who have really been turning out finished tracks with the Specki view the new performance sets and whether it's a game changer. It certainly seems awesome from a live standpoint and suggests that the Spectralis can really stand on its own now, without any of the kaoss pad sampling I've read about as a workaround for awkward sample load times. Pretty cool!

Anyhow, let me know if there's any other functionality that would be helpful to compare; I'm happy to help! :D
ziopad

Postby acemonvw » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:59 am

Well, the new sample management will really ONLY be helpful if you set all of your samples in a PERFORMZ folder to FIX, so that within a session of 32 songs, it loads ALL of the samples. Switching songs would be a bit quicker for sure.

Of course, this means you would need less than 128 mb of samples within each PERFORMZ folder. I think we need to abbreviate these folders and call them PzF, btw. This is nothing new with samplers. My MC-808 functions the same, you can load ALL samples, or you have to load them on pattern start. I haven't worked too much with that feature, but it seems more annoying on the 808. This is a pretty good idea, or at least the start to something better.

I would really like to see it implemented where you can still load sounds from another PzF... but I understand this. It just means we need to be somewhat careful not to overload the 4 gb harddrive. Anyway, it all seems pretty cool so far. Hope this info is a bit helpful to folks!
acemonvw

Postby aquapher » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:02 am

Just for fun - Song ack is a blessing for me. sorry you cant turn it off... But I personally have accidently changed songs during a live set (with a large audience)... You know what that means?

All sound stops. And then you have to load the song you were doing to get back... load x2. People standing. Waiting. Wondering. Sucks.

Never again. Thank you Jorg. :o :o :o
aquapher

Next

Return to Helpdesk