How to sample the oscillators

Questions and Answers concerning the spectralis!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

How to sample the oscillators

Postby acemonvw » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:45 am

So, this is a basic question, more basic than the typical spectralis questions...

I want to make multisamples of the raw Spectralis waveforms. I have maschine which is really good at sampling and looping the sample... the only problem is, how the hell do you sample the oscillators and make it sound good?

If you only sample one wave, it sounds like crap. (Doesn't sound like the waveform)

If you sample a few seconds worth, it sounds like crap. (You always hear the loop point)

There is a crossover function, but I didn't feel like it affected anything. Would be cool to sample the raw waveforms and put them back into the spectralis on the Dsynth. Maybe it already came stock with that (I don't know what any of the sample names from the sample pack actually refer to, other than D50 sounds).

Is there a general 'best way' to make this? I may end up making some SLI's and SLC's for the community if I can figure this out.
acemonvw

Re: How to sample the oscillators

Postby aquapher » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:10 pm

Next time I have time to sit and do music n stuff (next couple days) I'll try to remember to post a sample pack of 'single cycle waveforms' of many of the great vintage and current synths... (ms20, prophet, evlover, etc...)

They are all square, saw, pulse, tri and in different keys ... and very well done. They work really well in the dsynth.

Stand by.
aquapher

Postby jizzmaster2000 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:12 am

Cool!
Jeremy
Melbourne
jizzmaster2000

Postby aquapher » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:07 pm

K, heres the waveforms. Of course they would be more useful made into soundfonts, but I dont have time for that right now. I'll have to leave that to you...

I'll make a post for this in community as well.

http://www.mediafire.com/?17wbwonaycpag12

Be sure to click download right away... otherwise some other popup takes over I think....
aquapher

Postby acemonvw » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:45 pm

Thanks for that aquapher!

Question though regarding the original topic... How exactly does one sample these? I felt like, when using Maschine, that repeating a single waveform, it just sounded like crap. It didn't sound like the waveform... like this:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Sounds like a triangle wave...

but repeating this in a program like maschine:

| /\ | <--Single wave, looped

Sounds like poop.

But getting a loop point generated, like this (see below) sounds pretty bad, loop points are obvious:

| /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |

Even if you cut off at (as close as you can get) the exact point that the cycle starts again.
acemonvw

Postby aquapher » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:23 pm

Meh... not really sure... I just now, tossed a saw from my virus, into audacity, zoomed in and cut everything to a single cycle, looped it, and it sounded fine.

Im not gonna go as far as loading it into the spec right now but I saw no reason why it wouldnt be ok...

What software are you using to edit your samples?
aquapher

Postby acemonvw » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:26 pm

It's Maschine. Maybe that's my problem!

Might have to try audacity and see if that works! Thanks.
acemonvw

Postby aquapher » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:51 pm

Or the mac equivalent... A dedicated wave editor aint a bad thing to have...
aquapher

Return to Helpdesk