SAMPLE EDITOR FOR MAC!!!!! (SWAMI)

Questions and Answers concerning the spectralis!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Re: SAMPLE EDITOR FOR MAC!!!!! (SWAMI)

Postby balaton » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:15 pm

acemonvw wrote:1) I've imported some samples, except it won't import all of them. I'm not sure why it imports some files but not others. It won't actually tell me why they won't load unless I go to 'file' then to 'open recent' and click on the file, then it gives me an error:

Failed to load '/Users/Mike/Desktop/Complete samples/[KB6]_samples-complete_15NOV2012.rar Folder/[KB6]_Oberheim_DX/Oberheim_DX_01 shaker.wav': Unsupported conversion of type IpatchSndFile to IpatchBase

It can't be the naming, because other similarly named files work just fine (i.e., the folder name shouldn't be a problem. Thoughts?

Probably sample format. The sample must be in a format that is supported by the Spectralis and that is 16-bit, signed, little endian. If the sample is not in this format Swami currently does not try to convert it but should give you an unsupported sample format error. Maybe the error message does not reach the GUI though. Try checking the format of samples and convert them before loading to see if that fixes it.

acemonvw wrote:2) Is there an easier way to deal with the program? I know that's vague, but it's really tedious and hard to create new instruments and place individual files in and rename them... basically you have to:

a) import samples into the sample bin
b) add instruments (once you figure it out, you can copy and paste instruments to get a multitude of 'instruments')
c) Take one sample and copy it.
d) go to instrument and 'paste' it.
e) repeat for every other sample.

This gets to be extremely tedious. Is there a simpler way to work with swami? Or should I work with another program and then import into swami for simpler use...

You should be able to drop loaded samples from the samples folder directly on the instruments folder without first creating the instrument to have it create an instrument for you automatically. I can't remember now exactly how it was working but pasting multiple samples at once is also possible and either creates multiple instruments or a multi sample instrument. (I guess it's the former so you can create multisamples by creating the instrument first and then dropping multiple samples on the instrument instead of on the instruments folder.) If this is not what you wanted could you explain how it could be improved?
balaton

Postby acemonvw » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:59 am

Thanks for the reply balaton.

How can I tell if the sample is "16-bit, signed, little endian"? Half of the samples load, and half don't. Also, the error doesn't even come up when I try to load samples... just, nothing happens. I only get the error if I go into "File" then "open recent".

You should be able to drop loaded samples from the samples folder directly on the instruments folder without first creating the instrument to have it create an instrument for you automatically. I can't remember now exactly how it was working but pasting multiple samples at once is also possible and either creates multiple instruments or a multi sample instrument. (I guess it's the former so you can create multisamples by creating the instrument first and then dropping multiple samples on the instrument instead of on the instruments folder.) If this is not what you wanted could you explain how it could be improved?

You can't drop loaded samples from the sample folder directly on to the instruments folder without creating an instrument. Instruments are not automatically created.

When I Drag and Drop the sample, let's call it "110CHH" from the sample folder to the Instrument folder, it just creates "110CHH2" in the SAMPLE folder! No instrument is even created. However, if I create an instrument folder THEN drag and drop the sample, it goes into that instrument.

Next, I can't actually drag and drop multiple samples. When I select the whole set of samples and go to drag and drop them into the instruments, it just takes the sample that I clicked on when I tried dragging them. So this feature doesn't work.

I think what's generally difficult about the program is listed above, but here are my combined thoughts:

1) Difficulty in creating 'instrument folders', you first need to make a folder, then copy+paste many of these (by figuring out how many samples you have).
2) It sometimes becomes tedious renaming folders, why couldn't folders be automatically renamed to the first sample you drop in. I typically use single samples per instrument, so it becomes a long process to use.
3) Changing categories can be frustrating. When you are on the left-hand side of the drop-down menu and go into the sub-menu (let's say, 'cymbal') you have to be quick about reaching the category because otherwise the dropdown menu disappears. This is likely because it's hovering over the other sub-menus (like percussion).
4) Is it possible to rename instruments by double-clicking their title in the left-hand bar (where all samples/instruments are listed)?
5) Adjusting sample note ranges is fairly straightforward, but changing root note requires you to move it with the menu below the 88-key keyboard... why couldn't you hold shift and drag it, or some other combination. As it stands, it's really difficult/tedious to make multisamples.

Thanks for the help! I love the program, it's been seriously really helpful for making samples for the Spectralis :)
acemonvw

Postby balaton » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:20 pm

acemonvw wrote:How can I tell if the sample is "16-bit, signed, little endian"?

Load it in a sample editor or short of that open it on QuickTime Player and see the Movie Inspector window (Command-I).
acemonvw wrote:Half of the samples load, and half don't. Also, the error doesn't even come up when I try to load samples... just, nothing happens. I only get the error if I go into "File" then "open recent".

This may be a bug. Does it happen if you open multiple samples at once? Can you send me a sample that doesn't load?
acemonvw wrote:You can't drop loaded samples from the sample folder directly on to the instruments folder without creating an instrument. Instruments are not automatically created.

Are you sure you have the latest version? This was added later and I wrote about it here:
http://www.forum.radikaltechnologies.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2622&sid=aea3022182a521e5ea32f1d3682ccb96&sid=aea3022182a521e5ea32f1d3682ccb96#p16807
acemonvw wrote:Next, I can't actually drag and drop multiple samples. When I select the whole set of samples and go to drag and drop them into the instruments, it just takes the sample that I clicked on when I tried dragging them. So this feature doesn't work.

This is a bug in Gtk I can't fix but there's a workaround, see my post at the link above.
acemonvw wrote:1) Difficulty in creating 'instrument folders', you first need to make a folder, then copy+paste many of these (by figuring out how many samples you have).
2) It sometimes becomes tedious renaming folders, why couldn't folders be automatically renamed to the first sample you drop in. I typically use single samples per instrument, so it becomes a long process to use.

These should be solved already in the latest version as per the above.
acemonvw wrote:3) Changing categories can be frustrating. When you are on the left-hand side of the drop-down menu and go into the sub-menu (let's say, 'cymbal') you have to be quick about reaching the category because otherwise the dropdown menu disappears. This is likely because it's hovering over the other sub-menus (like percussion).

This is again likely a Gtk bug, you can prevent it from disappearing by moving down in the submenu to an entry that is not overlapping any other. Once putting the mouse over that for a short while it does not disappear if you move up to another entry.
acemonvw wrote:4) Is it possible to rename instruments by double-clicking their title in the left-hand bar (where all samples/instruments are listed)?
5) Adjusting sample note ranges is fairly straightforward, but changing root note requires you to move it with the menu below the 88-key keyboard... why couldn't you hold shift and drag it, or some other combination. As it stands, it's really difficult/tedious to make multisamples.

I don't know. You'd better ask that on the swami mailing list because they don't read this forum.
balaton

Postby acemonvw » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks for the response balaton.

I have version 2.0.0, I downloaded your most recent version (I think): Swami-2.0.0+git2013-10-24.dmg

Okay, I had an older version so now dragging one file in at a time creates a new instrument. However, I still cannot drag multiple files in at once. This version, however, does fix some of the problems, so thanks for that!

I'll attach a file through dropbox that you can download and test that gives me errors, but I will look into its file type as you suggested. Thanks for the help!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75t2dn5s2y5qm ... 200000.wav
acemonvw

Postby balaton » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:12 pm

acemonvw wrote:I have version 2.0.0, I downloaded your most recent version (I think): Swami-2.0.0+git2013-10-24.dmg

All of them are version 2.0.0 because there's no newer release of swami yet but the newer dates contain newer changes so the one with the latest date should be the most up to date.
acemonvw wrote:Okay, I had an older version so now dragging one file in at a time creates a new instrument. However, I still cannot drag multiple files in at once. This version, however, does fix some of the problems, so thanks for that!

Read my instructions at the link I've posted above. Dragging multiple samples does not work but selecting them, then copy from the right click menu and then paste from the menu of the Instruments folder should make it possible to paste multiple samples at once and create instruments for them.
acemonvw wrote:I'll attach a file through dropbox that you can download and test that gives me errors, but I will look into its file type as you suggested. Thanks for the help!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75t2dn5s2y5qm ... 200000.wav

This file is a 24bit sample which is not supported in SLI format. Convert to 16bit with a sample editor first.
balaton

Postby balaton » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:16 pm

acemonvw wrote:5) Adjusting sample note ranges is fairly straightforward, but changing root note requires you to move it with the menu below the 88-key keyboard... why couldn't you hold shift and drag it, or some other combination. As it stands, it's really difficult/tedious to make multisamples.

I think you should be able to change the root note by dragging the dot under the keyboard and also set the ranges by dragging at their end. Did you try this?
balaton

Postby balaton » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:44 pm

Actually it is possible to set the root note by dragging but not very intuitive: you have to select "Root note" from the Move drop down at the top then you can drag the dot with the middle mouse button. I realise that this might be difficult on a Mac laptop that does not have a middle mouse button by default so you'd either need a mouse or a program that enables middle click with three-fingers+click. We'll look into making this easier in the next version.

I'd suggest using the mailing list or issue tracker at the swami homepage because I was luckily reading this forum now but I don't always see posts here.
balaton

Postby balaton » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:47 am

A new beta version of Swami is available. See details here:
http://www.forum.radikaltechnologies.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2622&p=18954#p18954
balaton

Postby balaton » Thu May 15, 2014 9:36 am

balaton wrote:A new beta version of Swami is available. See details here:
http://www.forum.radikaltechnologies.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2622&p=18954#p18954

Did anyone try the Windows version posted in the other thread or that went completely unnoticed? Are there any feedback on that or the OS X version before a release comes out?
balaton

Postby mofo2009 » Thu May 15, 2014 11:52 pm

THank You!!!!!! Works Great! OSX
mofo2009

PreviousNext

Return to Helpdesk