SAMPLE EDITOR FOR MAC!!!!! (SWAMI)

Questions and Answers concerning the spectralis!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Re: SAMPLE EDITOR FOR MAC!!!!! (SWAMI)

Postby joshelevator » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:27 am

Thanks much Balaton for making this happen! Totally changes the Spectralis. And big thanks to midera a for posting it again, and for the great quick-start guide you made. Super helpful.

Josh
joshelevator

Postby joshelevator » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:49 pm

Have any of you all figured out how to use Swami with Soundfonts? I'm fairly stuck here trying to figure it out. My goal is to get some old Emu soundfonts into the Spec. I dragged the SL2 files into Swami, but realize once they are in Swami, there is no way to change them into a "Spectralis Instrument". I imagine this is necessary for the Spec to be able to read them. I also understand that at the end, the Spec always needs them to be SLI or SLC files. Im hoping I can do a large amount of Soundfont instruments at once, and figure that means this Soundfont file needs to eventually end up as an SLC. After not seeing a way to "change" the SL2 file(s) (dragged into Swami) into a "Spectralis Instrument", I then tried first creating a new Spec Instrument, and then trying to load/drag the samples from the SL2 files (doing this all in the Swami container pane). I couldnt get this to work in any way (tried many different ways...)..

I was originally hoping, as i understood that the Spec "reads" soundfont files, that it would be as easy as dragging the soundfonts right into the Spectralis : ) Nope! That would have been so nice...

Somewhat related - I also spent 4 hours last night, trying to figure out how to import a collection of wav slices (originally from a REX file but converted to individual WAVs) into the Spec, using Swami... No luck. This is my dream - REX slices into othe Spec. I was hoping to have a D-Synth with the individual drum hits. I "almost" had it, or thought I did.... One time - I had the drum hits appearing in the Spec, but they had seemingly random start points... Im not sure what the problem was, but I think I hadn't set up their keygroup spans in Swami, and I was hearing all of the drums hitting at once, but they were doing round-robin because if i hit a key fast over and over, i could actually hear the original drum loop (kind of). ... It was hard to tell what was going on. The other bit attempt- I spent quite a while getting each hit on its own key (one keyspan for each hit). I wasn't totally sure whether it is SLI or SLC but as its only one instrument, I assume SLI. Just to be safe - I saved two different versions, one with SLI, and one with SLC (with different file names as I think that they cant be the same).... After a long time, I finally get them into the spec. I'm praying at this point - "please work... please...I beg you"... They are imported into the Spec.. I hit the drum hits, and each key has the exact same short percussive noise... It sounds like perhaps a tiny part of one of the samples... So long story short - no luck!!

Any thoughts on the importing Soundfonts (SL2 files) and or, an instrument with individual WAV hits? Much appreciated.
joshelevator

Postby rbhall7ice » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:05 pm

Swami has that spectralis output format which is unique but i ended up using the specimp you can get here.
polyphone is free and very fast.
Last edited by rbhall7ice on Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:55 am, edited 6 times in total.
rbhall7ice

Postby balaton » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:13 pm

Automatically converting SL2 to SLI the way the Windows SpecImp.exe is doing is unfortunately not implemented in Swami because I've only done SLI read, write and editing but haven't got to do the conversion functions. This should be possible but I don't have time for it. So if you want to convert Soundfont to SLI with Swami you have to do it manually now by loading the Soundfont, then creating a new SLI, copying the samples from Soundfont to SLI and then recreating the instruments if copying them is not working. I know this is not too convenient and about the same as creating new SLIs from scratch starting from wavs. Actually, I've tried it now and copying between SF2 and SLI does not seem to work even with the right click menu so the only way is to save the samples and start from that by loading into the SLI Samples folder.

As for difference between SLI and SLC, they are the same. The only difference is that SLI is used for a single instrument while SLC is used for a collection of instruments but there is no difference in the file format so this file name extension is only for you to distinguish files with multiple instruments. The Spectralis will probably read them regardless if it's SLI or SLC.

I'm not sure I understood what you tried to do from wavs and how it did not work but the basic thing to know about an SF2 or SLI/SLC file is that you load Samples then create Instruments from these samples the way you want. The simplest is when each instrument has a single sample. Then there could be Instruments with multiple samples that could have ranges that can be set while editing the instrument. So you if you have multiple samples you could either create an SLC where each sample gets a separate instrument that can be created by loading the samples then pasting them all in the Instruments folder (you may have to use the right click menu for this as drag&drop has problems with multiple items). This should create an instrument for each sample that you can rename and set category for. Or you can create one instrument then paste the samples into this instrument to create one multi-sample instrument. Then you'd set ranges for the samples in the instrument edit window. This is very low level and manual process but that's all Swami can do with SLI at the moment.
balaton

Postby joshelevator » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:40 pm

Hi Batalon, thanks for the helpful answer. I will probably give up on the SoundFonts for now then, as it just seems too time consuming. But I will try to load my home-made drum breaks/hits tomorrow. I'm hoping to do gigs with just the Spec, but in order to this, i would want to add some drum samples. Hopefully I'll get it. I found I had luck with importing WAVs with Swami about 50% of the time, which made me feel a bit nuts.

I think saving each hit as its own instrument is probably the easiest way for me to understand at this point. It actually makes the most sense for most songs I guess. This way the volume of each hit can be controlled. I can put each sample on a different drum/percussion slot.

If the Spec had fine-tune, or fine-adjust of tempo. I could load longer chops from drum breaks but alas, there is no fine tune in the Spectralis. It could be possible to get drum breaks worked out in another sampler first, but.. i just start thinking about time.. I'd just bring another machine for the drums.

Regarding the multi-sample instrument technique, im not sure i get it completely. There is one terminology I do not know - what exactly is a "mulitsample"? This is from the manual -

"SLI- files contain one single sample or multisample and *.SLC-files contain a collection of samples or multisamples. "

Is a multisample more than one sample on the same key?

If I do want to try loading more than one sample onto an instrument, I understand this will then need to be in the D-Synth. I thought this might be a good idea for a "drumkit", but i realize now that it would be impossible to adjust the volume of the different samples in that instrument. Correct? If so, i guess I dont really see the point of having multiple samples in one instrument (spread across the keyboard in keygroups) in the Spec.

Thanks a lot for the help, and for adding the Spec to Swami. Even with all of these frustrations, I love the sound of the syns in this beautiful instrument. Im just hoping there is more to come with the OS. Hopefully, Jorg will do a straight-ahead Mac importer at some point. That would be so cool. I'm guessing more than a few people would be happy to kick in for a paid update.
joshelevator

Postby via » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:15 pm

I was originally hoping, as i understood that the Spec "reads" soundfont files, that it would be as easy as dragging the soundfonts right into the Spectralis : ) Nope! That would have been so nice...

!! It works for me ... the SP reads sound font files straight of the internal HD/cards.. no problems

If the Spec had fine-tune, or fine-adjust of tempo. I could load longer chops from drum breaks but alas, there is no fine tune in the Spectralis. It could be possible to get drum breaks worked out in another sampler first, but.. i just start thinking about time.. I'd just bring another machine for the drums.

Dsynth
**You can fine tune sample by using velocity > to pitch under the tune OSC p2 ..
**You can also set the Pitch Mod to SEQ and even though there is no SEQ line changing values will effect the pitch ... strangely this is not the case with all the Dsynth sounds but most though..

Fine tune of tempo ''as of now'' can only be done via external sync

Fine tuning samples via velocity to pitch has become one of my most used features of the Dsynth ..
via

Previous

Return to Helpdesk