SAMPLE EDITOR FOR MAC!!!!! (SWAMI)

Questions and Answers concerning the spectralis!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Re: SAMPLE EDITOR FOR MAC!!!!! (SWAMI)

Postby via » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:07 pm

Wicked stuff Mr.Balaton!!

I think you just made my day ...
Still can't follow what did you mean but I think now we have simpler way to create both several simple instruments or multisample instruments with less clicks than before.

I think you did it! .. will take a look later on and give better feedback

I don't know how does the FFTune plugin work. Maybe it only looks at the sample and does not take fine tuning into account. Also you can set tuning at different places so it may not take all of them into account. This may need to be investigated further.

Ok so this is an inactive feature (?) that does not register in the sample nor the sound font? ..

anyway look forward to trying this out!
great stuff!!
thanks again!!
via

Postby via » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:24 pm

a quick followup

would there be any possibility to be able to: preview, & name patterns in this editor?

this would make arranging a pattern library so much easier.. or maybe possible is the right word ..
via

Postby balaton » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:13 pm

via wrote:Ok so this is an inactive feature (?) that does not register in the sample nor the sound font? ..

Investigated this fine-tuning a little more and it seems that it does work but you could not audition tuning changes on a sample, only in instrument zones. (That is, you can hear changes if you use FFTune on a sample assigned to an instrument under the Instruments folder but could not if you've changed fine tune of a sample itself under the Samples folder.) The reason was missing real time effects support in Spectralis sample objects (really only worked for SF2 samples, DLS and GIG samples have the same bug). I've added the neccessary functions to Spectralis samples now so it will work in the next version.
balaton

Postby balaton » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:24 pm

via wrote:would there be any possibility to be able to: preview, & name patterns in this editor?
this would make arranging a pattern library so much easier.. or maybe possible is the right word ..

While it would be interesting, I think this is a bit outside of the scope of Swami and may not be easy to implement without information on the file format of Spectralis patterns so it's unlikely it will be implemented now. Even if there was information on the file format, previewing patterns would only be possible by triggering them on the Spectralis otherwise you would not be able to hear A-Synth parts so I'm not sure how useful it would be with these limitations.
balaton

Postby brain » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Is it for Intel MAcs only, can´t get it run under Leopard 10.5.8, cheers brain
brain

Postby acemonvw » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:12 pm

brain wrote:Is it for Intel MAcs only, can´t get it run under Leopard 10.5.8, cheers brain

Is Leopard only PPC?

Wikipedia
Leopard is the final version of Mac OS X to support the PowerPC architecture as Snow Leopard functions solely on Intel based Macs.

Yeah, it would probably be difficult to get the program to function in the older PowerPC environment, but I'm not a coder... I'm not sure if there's a workaround (like Wine for Macs or some emulation...)
acemonvw

Postby mcbeth303 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:40 pm

Leopard is PPC only till one of the later updates. then they added a x86 branch of the OS for intel macs. As there were nearly no Programs for Intel Macs at first they added Rosetta to the x86 branch which was able to translate PPC programs for the intel architecture. But there is nothing the other way round other than virtualisation software like virtualPC or similar, but there is no guarantee that it will work.

Other thing is: if you need PPC programs aswell (like i do with the Korg Kontrol49 editor, it is PPC only or windoze) and you buy a new mac: OSX 10.7 or 10.8 (im not sure) dropped support for Rosetta, so you will not be able to run PPC Applications anymore unless you install an earlier version of OSX.
mcbeth303

Postby acemonvw » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:34 pm

mcbeth303 wrote:Leopard is PPC only till one of the later updates. then they added a x86 branch of the OS for intel macs. As there were nearly no Programs for Intel Macs at first they added Rosetta to the x86 branch which was able to translate PPC programs for the intel architecture. But there is nothing the other way round other than virtualisation software like virtualPC or similar, but there is no guarantee that it will work.

Other thing is: if you need PPC programs aswell (like i do with the Korg Kontrol49 editor, it is PPC only or windoze) and you buy a new mac: OSX 10.7 or 10.8 (im not sure) dropped support for Rosetta, so you will not be able to run PPC Applications anymore unless you install an earlier version of OSX.

Yeah, I'm glad I switched over long ago and don't have that problem. But I know others aren't as fortunate :(
acemonvw

Postby balaton » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:42 am

brain wrote:Is it for Intel MAcs only, can´t get it run under Leopard 10.5.8, cheers brain

The binary I compiled is Intel only and requires at least 10.6. While it might be possible to compile for PPC I have no way to test it so I chose to make Intel only. Similarly older than 10.6 is more difficult due to a change in Xcode around that time. I wonder how many people still use PPC Macs without any newer around and unable to update to at least 10.6?
balaton

Postby acemonvw » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:53 am

balaton,

Could you help out a little bit on SWAMI? It does some odd things.

1) I've imported some samples, except it won't import all of them. I'm not sure why it imports some files but not others. It won't actually tell me why they won't load unless I go to 'file' then to 'open recent' and click on the file, then it gives me an error:

Failed to load '/Users/Mike/Desktop/Complete samples/[KB6]_samples-complete_15NOV2012.rar Folder/[KB6]_Oberheim_DX/Oberheim_DX_01 shaker.wav': Unsupported conversion of type IpatchSndFile to IpatchBase

It can't be the naming, because other similarly named files work just fine (i.e., the folder name shouldn't be a problem. Thoughts?

2) Is there an easier way to deal with the program? I know that's vague, but it's really tedious and hard to create new instruments and place individual files in and rename them... basically you have to:

a) import samples into the sample bin
b) add instruments (once you figure it out, you can copy and paste instruments to get a multitude of 'instruments')
c) Take one sample and copy it.
d) go to instrument and 'paste' it.
e) repeat for every other sample.

This gets to be extremely tedious. Is there a simpler way to work with swami? Or should I work with another program and then import into swami for simpler use...

Thanks!
acemonvw

PreviousNext

Return to Helpdesk