SAMPLE EDITOR FOR MAC!!!!! (SWAMI)

Questions and Answers concerning the spectralis!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

SAMPLE EDITOR FOR MAC!!!!! (SWAMI)

Postby acemonvw » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:03 am

Guys, it works!

http://www.forum.radikaltechnologies.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2622
Download link: http://goliat.eik.bme.hu/~balaton/swami/

Let me just say... Balaton (at least I think he's the one who gets credit) has created a sample editor for the spectralis that allows us to create our own SLI's (haven't tested SLC's) and import our own WAV files. I'm not sure what other file types this will support, but this is F****ing great!!!! :D :D :D

Basic tutorial:
Load the program.
Then, File --> New --> Spectralis
You'll have something that says Untitled, Instruments, Samples.

Right click on 'Samples' to load samples. Find the sample you want to load.
I had some trouble with a wav file, imported it to iTunes, converted to WAV and it loaded.

Then, right-click 'Instruments' and create new instrument.

Move your sample to that new instrument and you should now be able to play it on the embedded keyboard.

Now, the trick here is (not a trick, Balaton explained it elsewhere to me) on the left panel, click the new instrument (has a key symbol by it or something), you'll see a menu titled 'Properties in the main window. Under here you can select the new category AND the name of your file. Basically, when you go looking for your file in the spectralis, you'll find it under this name, in the category you've selected.

To save, right click on the File, go to Save instrument. Click on the instrument in the popup screen, go to browse, save in any directory. I think you should be sure to also add the .SLI or .SLC to the end (what was the difference between the two again?). I added .SLI, so I know that worked.

Currently, I have NOOOOO idea how to edit the sample, I couldn't quite figure out the Sample editor portion yet at least for start and end points as well as loop points.

But from the mac community... I thank you Balaton! :D :D :D :D You modestly placed the link in the User community (I think it's less traveled) and for some reason, not really realized what an awesome thing you created...

We now have no need to go back and forth between a mac and a PC (at least I think). Also, this seems like a really nice sample editor, if I can figure it out!

I believe you can disregard this next section if you are beyond OS 1.04K, I believe this was fixed in OS 1.5 and above, but leaving it here for documentation...

Also, for those that use a Mac, please also download this:
http://mac.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownlo ... 32&t=4&i=1

This is something that you drag your Spectralis Harddrive to to remove the hidden files before unmounting your drive from the mac. Joerg posted this elsewhere, but thought it best to include here as well for a reminder. I have downloaded a safe copy of it in the event that it gets taken down from the server as well.
Last edited by acemonvw on Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acemonvw

Re: SAMPLE EDITOR FOR MAC!!!!! (SWAMI)

Postby acemonvw » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:12 pm

No one is interested in this?

Crazy...

This (or the originaly posting, which doesn't clarify its importance) should be sticky-ed to the top of this forum.
acemonvw

Postby jizzmaster2000 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:27 am

Does it work for PC?
Jeremy
Melbourne
jizzmaster2000

Postby acemonvw » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:25 am

...I don't think so...

But the point is, there's always been a sample editor for PC, it's the Sample Import Editor. People have been complaining about the lack of a mac editor for years (and I think it's been promised for a long time), but Balaton managed to get a different program (or create it himself?) to import WAV samples and make our own spectralis samples. I'd say that's pretty huge considering it was one of the big things people wanted.
acemonvw

Postby balaton » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:36 pm

Thanks for your kind words. I take credit only for adding Spectralis support, fixing some bugs and improving Mac support for the otherwise great sound font editor Swami which was written by Element Green.
Maybe you could make a video tutorial to better explain how to create a sample for the Spectralis with Swami.
It should also work on Windows (and definitely works on Linux) but at the moment you have to compile it from source yourself as there is no binary version available with Spectralis support as far as I know. (I've posted instructions for Linux in the other thread linked from above but I'm not sure if that really works as there was no feedback on that. I might be able to answer questions if posted there but cannot help if there's no feedback.)
Swami can do more than the Windows Spectralis Import application because that can only convert sample sets but Swami can also load end edit existing SLI/SLC files or create new ones from scratch. Currently automatic conversion from SF2 to SLC is missing but it's also possible to implement in Swami which would duplicate the functionality of the Spectralis Import application completely.
The difference between SLI and SLC is only that SLI contains a single instrument while SLC is a collection of instruments so it has more than one.
balaton

Postby acemonvw » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:27 pm

I'm glad you saw the post, wanted you to know I was very thankful (I know others would be quite thankful too, but not sure how often everyone checks up on the forum (I'm here all the time...). This really saves us Mac users a ton of time. I mean, this is one of those things that pops up in the wishlist like every week, "Sample editor for MAC???"

Any idea on how to set loop points or work with the waveform? I found that really confusing.
acemonvw

Postby persi74 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:22 pm

Hi i try to make a sample with SWAMI i follow your start guide but i don't ear any sounds when i play the keyboard,can you help me?..i download SWAMI from your link,thank you.
persi74

Postby balaton » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:02 pm

acemonvw wrote:Any idea on how to set loop points or work with the waveform? I found that really confusing.

Probably the best place to ask questions about Swami is its mailing list which is at https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/swami-devel
To set loop points you should be able to drag the start and end markers of the loop on the sample display. Its probably easier to see it if you set the end point to a higher number in the box above the waveform first. After that you should see a green bar above the waveform like on the screenshot in my post which shows the loop. Right to the waveform it shows the sample points around the marker enlarged to help you find a loop point and there's also a loop finder which can analyse the wave and suggest possible loop points. Finally don't forget to set the loop type to Standard to activate the loop. I think you should experiment with it or ask on the mailing list where others who know Swami better than me could answer your questions.
balaton

Postby balaton » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:08 pm

persi74 wrote:Hi i try to make a sample with SWAMI i follow your start guide but i don't ear any sounds when i play the keyboard,can you help me?..i download SWAMI from your link,thank you.

First try to load an SF2 or SLI file and select an instrument from its Instruments folder and then try to click on the virtual keyboard in the window. If you don't hear anything then it's probably some problem with your setup, check that first. If you can hear sounds that you've loaded but cannot hear the instrument you've created then probably you did not follow the guide correctly, check that again. Otherwise provide some more details because your description does not contain enough information for me to guess what could be your problem.
balaton

Postby persi74 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:52 am

Thank i try now !
persi74

Next

Return to Helpdesk