SAMPLE EDITOR FOR MAC!!!!! (SWAMI)

Questions and Answers concerning the spectralis!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Re: SAMPLE EDITOR FOR MAC!!!!! (SWAMI)

Postby joshelevator » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:36 am

I looked it up : ) It looks like I can format a drive to be read by both Mac and PC.
joshelevator

Postby rbhall7ice » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:30 am

Real nice interface you got there - (metric halo)
Use a usb drive to move samples between computers first of all.
I would recommend if you don't have it already , to get Autosampler , which is now part of Apple MainStage (30$) - i was using the old Redmatica autosampler back before Apple bought their technology - but i just got MainStage only to use the new autosampler - though i have not used it yet..
It will make EXS instruments and if you have something like Chicken Systems Translator , you can convert them to multisample looped sf2's (sound fonts) in a snap.
- But you don't have to use a conversion utility , you can still import the multisample WAVs that autosampler created and organized and construct your multisample soundfont presets in something like Polyphone (which works very nicely for pre-Spectralis preparation - i've mentioned it before and have tried basically *everything* out there if anybody cares).
When you have practice at this it is extremely fast.
Other great apps to have on the side are LoopEditor (pretty cheap) and Wavepad (free) for various jobs (i used loop editor to make difficult but awesomely authentic models of my prophet 10) - but , you don't really need them because autosampler will already output loop points (use reverse crossfade) and Polyphone will cut the fat off the end of the sample loops - just make sure every sample zone in the sf2 editor is individually turned on by copying the loop sign.(this is something peculiar to the Spectralis - if you do this with other hardware samplers the loop won't play).
Regarding the specimp .exe pc utility ,it is super easy - you just double click on it , drag/drop soundfonts on it and voila - it does help to categorize your sounds but you don't have to.
In the beginning , i used to just email a bunch of sf2s to a friend and he'd drop them on specimp and email them back as .sli/.slc . - Also you don't need an external hard drive of course like i said - just use a usb thumb drive with the sf2's to go from the Mac to PC/Bootcamp , and convert files to either .sli or.slc. and then connect the Spectralis and drop them in.
If you have beaucoup files you sort of need to be clever given the Spectralis limits on file numbers and RAM . You want to be able to have as many types of sounds available without filling up the RAM and you want it (Spectrails) to see no more than 255 files at the cf card root - so some planning ahead using the .SLC (collections) is wise.(you can turn approx. 1000 sf2 files into approx. 200 Spectralis files for example). It's also fun to make combo sf2 instruments where you can have multiple sampler instruments spread over a wide range of notes - so you end up only using up 1 of the D-synth parts to play several different instruments.
I hope that helps because it's really rewarding.
Sometime soon i'll make a smaller soundset and post it here -
rbhall7ice

Postby joshelevator » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:08 pm

Hey, thanks so much. This is all super helpful.

Yea - I got a UNL-8 last year and I can tell you - it sounds perfect. Ive maybe had 5 different interfaces over the last 25 years, and this one is for sure nice. That said, because technology has gotten cheaper, there are lots of great ones for cheaper. I will say though this one is super nice. What goes in, is what comes out.

Prophet 10. Nice : )

OK great. Lets do this. Ill buy autosampler, bootcamp, and Windows 10 and when Im back home in a few days, I will try all of this. Ive heard great things about autosampler for this purpose. I'm really looking forward to it. Im still not totally understanding the difference between SLI and SLC files, but I'll see what happens. Im thinking it will become apparent when I use the spectralis app. One is for multisamples (a collection of samples across the keyboard) , and one is for single samples is what i understand.

I will let you know how it goes. Best. Josh
joshelevator

Postby rbhall7ice » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:29 am

Your welcome -
- .SLI files may or may not be multisampled instruments (doesn't matter) it's just a single Spectralis file - so you can have a huge SF2 with multisamples galore/velocity layered monstrosity and turn it into a single .SLI - Now an .SLC file is a *collection* of .SLI's.
You can put many smaller , usually related .SLI files into 1 .SLC - this is usually to lower the amount of files in the root directory - files that are less than 5 or 6 megs are good for grouping into .SLC's. Of course all your drum sounds should be organized into .SLC's (but you should also take into consideration Spectralis RAM limits as it loads these - in other words don't make the .SLC's very large) - as it turns out the Spectralis really has plenty of room for stuff , and also now we have the PERFORMZ folders which makes things nicer.
As far as bootcamp goes - it should be free , and you might find a trial version of windows for free somewhere (the trial i'm using bugs me to activate it or whatever but just say no and it keeps on working anyways)
Installing windows can be tricky - i needed to educate myself ..
glad to help - later -
- oh,also , i know this is probably not in the proper thread - sorrrryyy!
rbhall7ice

Postby joshelevator » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:33 pm

Thanks much. I understand. Now - one last problem - i do not see the sample import program. The link is dead. I will email Jorg.
joshelevator

Postby rbhall7ice » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:58 pm

Here - "save link as" should work i hope.
Attachments
SpectImp005.zip
(38.04 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
rbhall7ice

Previous

Return to Helpdesk