Sampling

Questions and Answers concerning the spectralis!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Re: Sampling

Postby aquapher » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Yeah, I tend to compose with ableton running... mostly just for processing samples, beats or whatever. When its time, I render the samples out (make them a soundfont if need be) and drop them in the spec.

Sure, sometimes its more steps than I care for, but ya do what ya gotta do...

Eagerly anticipating the new file system update, where song folders can contain those samples....
aquapher

Postby acemonvw » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:35 am

sicks wrote:Why not just sample into logic using an analog to digital convertor, sort out your sample and load into the spectralis?

I use my MPC 60 or my EMU SP12 if I want a certain "sound" to a sample, both machines are 12 bit so give a nice lo-fi feel to what ever goes into the machine. Then just midi sync the spectralis to MPC. You then have rock solid timing and velocity sensitive samples-on the pads and note repeat function. Very cool.

It sounds so simple... But not having a simple way to convert sounds to SLC or SLI or whatever they are on the mac makes this just too difficult at the moment. It would be:

Sample into logic, sort samples, save them, send them to another computer/reset my computer to get into windows (which i don't have), convert them, transfer from there or send them back to my mac, then import into the spectralis... It's a pain in the ass.

I thought that swami app that someone was working on might be able to convert .wav files to SLC... but I tried it out and it doesn't load those types of files so I can't convert them.

The octatrack sounds great, but it's over $1000, so I'm looking to cheaper alternatives. I'm REALLY considering getting the Microsampler (again) just to have a sampler plus keys to go with the speckie... but they're crap keys and I'm not sure I got along well with the sampler. The ES1 and ESX seem nice, but the people selling them on craigslist are from Nigeria and have been ecstatic to share their newfound wealth with me, despite the loss of their loved ones... but really, I'm not sure these other samplers will be great either. The MPCs are pretty spendy too.

Maybe I should just abandon the whole idea of sampling altogether with the spectralis. I do find it works best alone (at least for me).
acemonvw

Postby sicks » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:45 pm

I think I am just used to long winded processes of saving and importing exporting samples and sounds...

The spectralis is the only "new" piece of gear I have, the only digital hardwear synth I have, everything else is late eighties-floppy disks and recording patterns to cassette, so sampling into logic ( on my mac), saving onto a usb stick then using the £20 sony laptop I got (from a charity shop-thrift store) running windows xp with nothing on but the sample convertor program I convert the samples then plug the spectralis into the sony laptop and transfer sounds across. In my eyes that is straight forward and pretty quick. In a nut shell get a dirt cheap windows notebook or lap top, the smaller the better, I keep mine in a drawer and pull it out only for this purpose. I think a Raspberry Pi micro computer would run the sample convert program... Something I was going to try.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/quick-start-guide
sicks

Postby acemonvw » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:14 pm

sicks wrote:I think I am just used to long winded processes of saving and importing exporting samples and sounds...

The spectralis is the only "new" piece of gear I have, the only digital hardwear synth I have, everything else is late eighties-floppy disks and recording patterns to cassette, so sampling into logic ( on my mac), saving onto a usb stick then using the £20 sony laptop I got (from a charity shop-thrift store) running windows xp with nothing on but the sample convertor program I convert the samples then plug the spectralis into the sony laptop and transfer sounds across. In my eyes that is straight forward and pretty quick. In a nut shell get a dirt cheap windows notebook or lap top, the smaller the better, I keep mine in a drawer and pull it out only for this purpose. I think a Raspberry Pi micro computer would run the sample convert program... Something I was going to try.

Fair enough. You're probably right. I think for now, I might just sample into maschine and see how that goes. It's really easy to put samples along the keyboard... not sure I can export as soundfont or anything though, I'll have to check it out. I should try sampling with Logic. That might be one of the next things I try. I just really want to have simplicity. I think, I never really will.

Working with maschine, logic, and the virus make music making very simple. Everything loads up properly when I open a song, everything managed well within the song. I wish I could hook up my spectralis in that set up, simply. The problem is that I hate MIDI implementation with the Spectralis. It's so odd that Channel 1 is the currently selected one. I get that this makes it easy to use your midi controller on the currently selected sound, but it's sort of weird.

Someone once mentioned Spectralis TI... that... would... be... amazing.

Okay, the last part of this rant had little to do with sampling. My apologies.
acemonvw

Postby balaton » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:06 pm

acemonvw wrote:I thought that swami app that someone was working on might be able to convert .wav files to SLC... but I tried it out and it doesn't load those types of files so I can't convert them.

Swami does not load wav files as sample sets and it does not convert them automatically but it should be possible to add a wav file as a sample in an SLI. To convert wav into SLC you can try this (essentially creating a new instrument with the sample):
1. File > New > SLI
2. From the right click menu: Load Sample and load the wav file here. It will appear as a sample in the SLI container
3. Select New Instrument from the right click menu and drag&drop your sample into the new instrument
(4. You can set the name and category of the instrument in the properties tab)
Finally save as an SLI file (or SLC if you've put more than one instrument in one collection).

To create multisamples repeat the above drag&dropping multiple samples into the same instrument and setting their ranges with the bars below the virtual keyboard. You can also tweak settings and loop points in other tabs. With this one should be able to create all SLC-s from simple to complex. I admit this needs a bit more understanding and a bit more low level than automated conversion but it also gives greater control and saves you from needing the sample conversion tool or Windows.
balaton

Postby balaton » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:17 pm

sicks wrote:I think a Raspberry Pi micro computer would run the sample convert program... Something I was going to try.

Raspberry Pi is an ARM architecture machine and does not run Windows (unless under some kind of emulation which may be really slow for such a relatively slow CPU). It runs under Linux so Swami may work all right on it though. :)
balaton

Postby acemonvw » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks balaton,

I'll try your suggestion when I get to my home computer!
acemonvw

Postby acemonvw » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:19 am

Well, I was able to import wave files into Swami, and was able to save them as SLI files... the problem is that the spectralis doesn't see these files.

I can browse the file and see that it exists and is either loading FIX or DYN... but alas, I can't find the file when trying to load it, so it appears this won't work.

It was SOO close though! That Specimp program must be doing something special to SLC and SLI files, because I searched very hard for them, found nothing. There are two ways to find files (pressing the VCO osc wave button and by selecting Dsynth part). I couldn't find it. :cry:

Swami is a cool app though!
acemonvw

Postby aquapher » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Your problem there probably would have to do with the category setting of the sli...?

... which is fairly important if you want to browse to the file for loading...
aquapher

Postby balaton » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:26 pm

As others have said check the Instrument name and category on the Instrument Properties tab. By default a new instrument has a name New Instrument and maybe a number so you should look for the sample on the Spectralis under this name and not under the name of the wav file if you haven't changed it. Could this be the problem? Or if you can send me an SLI you've created as above I can have a look.
balaton

PreviousNext

Return to Helpdesk