Sampling

Questions and Answers concerning the spectralis!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Sampling

Postby acemonvw » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:19 pm

One of the major drawbacks for me with the spectralis is sampling. You can't directly sample into the spectralis. Let's say I want to record a guitar part and chop it up... and have it sequenced as a multisample, how would YOU guys do it?

I have maschine, so I could sample into that and then transfer it to the speckie... seems like a lot of steps though.

I could buy a sampler (Korg ESX, Microsampler (had one, sorta didn't like it), MPC) as a hardware component, sample into that and leave it stored there and have the spectralis sequence that device...

I could record into logic and copy the sounds out...

The thing is, none of these ways really seem like a simple process. Being able to layer guitar work on top of my electronic stuff would be really nice, the problem is, the way to do so seems rather bulky and inconvenient. I could just skip that process and only work with my guitar in Logic+Virus+Maschine, but I would like to get a simple, efficient way to sample and use that with the spectralis. I may just give up on it though, it sounds like a huge pain in the ass, especially with being mostly mac only.

Thoughts?

EDIT: One last thing worth mentioning... sequencing the spectralis FROM logic. This would be really nice, but I just don't really think sequencing the spectralis from a DAW is an effective use of the spectralis. I know some people do use it that way, but I think it would be difficult to really implement it. I've largely avoided this area. Does anyone think it's actually really useful to do so?
acemonvw

Re: Sampling

Postby monomoon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:33 pm

I think the sampling function on the Korg ESX is clumsy.

What about recording a guitar part, an then use an editor that has a slice function and that has the abilty to export the slices in single files. So You could make a multisample easy as pie ?
monomoon

Postby blacksun » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:36 pm

SampleRobot is magic when it comes to this sort of thing. I can automatically play a real or virtual instrument, across multiple octaves, at different velocities, altering other setting such as mod wheel, and at the same time record the output, finally allowing you to export it as a soundfont (for import into the speccie) or many other formats.
It can also, depending on the version you buy, set up loop points within the soundfont samples.

Take the export, drag it through the speccie sample converter then straight to the speccie via usb as normal.

For what you want to do with a chopped up sequence you would have to get SR to play the different parts in your daw and record sample the output.

Pricey though...
blacksun

Postby acemonvw » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:37 am

monomoon wrote:I think the sampling function on the Korg ESX is clumsy.

What about recording a guitar part, an then use an editor that has a slice function and that has the abilty to export the slices in single files. So You could make a multisample easy as pie ?

I could check to see if maschine does that. You can take a part you record into it, and it slices the samples up... not sure if I could export as a single file.

I've not really done much multisampling at all. The one nice thing about the microsampler is that you can just basically sample onto each of 37 notes, each note containing a different sample (if you put it in keyboard mode, it will play different tones of the same sample). I recall it being quite clumsy though.

blacksun wrote:SampleRobot is magic when it comes to this sort of thing.

Cool. I've never heard of samplerobot before. I will check it out!
acemonvw

Postby jizzmaster2000 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:54 am

OCTATRACK! :idea:
Jeremy
Melbourne
jizzmaster2000

Postby Spectralis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:45 pm

Buy one of this old Akai S oder Emu Sampler. 8)
http://soundcloud.com/m-v-k/
Spectralis

Postby acemonvw » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:22 pm

jizzmaster2000 wrote:OCTATRACK! :idea:

Is it easy to transfer files on the octatrack? I thought it was a difficult task with the machinedrum (only having midi cables) I didn't think there was a method to transfer files there... is this similar on the octatrack (I'll go do some research I guess).

Spectralis wrote:Buy one of this old Akai S oder Emu Sampler. 8)

I'm not sure what you're recommending...
This? http://www.vintagesynth.com/akai/s1000.php
and this? http://www.vintagesynth.com/emu/esi32.php

Thanks guys!

Edit: But is this what you use? How do you use it alongside the spectralis? Do you sample and then eventually bring the samples in the spectralis? Or use these as separate devices?
acemonvw

Postby jizzmaster2000 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:39 am

I actually just bought an Octatrack this week. Yes you can connect via usb and drop 16/24bit 44.1khz samples easily. There's a good video showing it used as a guitar looper you may be interested in.
Buy the way, Octatrack is awsome!
Jeremy
Melbourne
jizzmaster2000

Postby jizzmaster2000 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:47 am

Just re read your post, you want a simple solution, although Octatrack, like the Spec is very indepth, once mastered will be easy to use.
Jeremy
Melbourne
jizzmaster2000

Postby sicks » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:57 pm

Why not just sample into logic using an analog to digital convertor, sort out your sample and load into the spectralis?

I use my MPC 60 or my EMU SP12 if I want a certain "sound" to a sample, both machines are 12 bit so give a nice lo-fi feel to what ever goes into the machine. Then just midi sync the spectralis to MPC. You then have rock solid timing and velocity sensitive samples-on the pads and note repeat function. Very cool.
sicks

Next

Return to Helpdesk