A little help please

Questions and Answers concerning the spectralis!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Re: A little help please

Postby jizzmaster2000 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:45 pm

I think I've prety much mastered this beast now !
Question about samples, are samples saved just within a song. For example in demo song 2 (i think) the one with the schiller female vocals, I can only find them when I am in that song. Is this correct?
Also, regarding midi, if I change the kick drum to a midi channel it plays my Prophet 08 using the midi keyboard but when I put steps in, it doesn't triger it. But when connected to my machinedrum it does. Maybe something I'm doing wrong.
In the manual it says to only use one midi ch per track. Does this mean you cant use the drum sequencer to control another drum machine? I'll try this out today.
Thanx.
Jeremy
Melbourne
jizzmaster2000

Postby acemonvw » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:02 pm

No, you should be able to retrieve samples when you are in ANY song. I have deleted all songs from the demos... so I don't even know where that would be, but what I like about the spectralis is its layout.

Song --> Pattern --> Samples + Asynth

Patters are contained within songs (unlike roland grooveboxes, where you string patterns together to make a song, but you can string Pattern 001, 045, and 150 together if you'd like. It's too confusing for me!!!)

You can take any sample you have onboard and alter its properties (cutoff/resonance/LFOs) and it doesn't affect the core sample.

Now, I'm confused about what you mean about the MIDI channel.

You have changed the kick drum to MIDI Ch.1, correct?

Now, you select kick drum and play (using a MIDI keyboard) and your Prophet 08 plays? This should assume that ONLY one note will sound, based on the note that you have selected in GROOVE EDIT. If not, then something is wrong.

When you put steps in (trigger the Drum Matrix, correct?), you don't hear anything? Now, this would be odd if you do hear something when the MIDI keyboard activates the note because you should only have one note playing, no matter what key you hit on your keyboard and sequencing a note should NOT change in the groove matrix.

Now, you unplug the MIDI IN from your P 08 and plug it into your machinedrum, and the triggered notes activate the machinedrum?

Yeah, that's hard to understand the problem. I wonder if it's a setting issue on your P '08, like if it has arpeggiators and isn't synced (receive tempo from spectralis).

jizzmaster2000 wrote:In the manual it says to only use one midi ch per track. Does this mean you cant use the drum sequencer to control another drum machine?

Per track? Do you mean per part (kick drum, snare drum), because you can set each of these to different MIDI channels or even the same one. You can use the drum sequencer to control another drum machine, as you had said you could previously (the machinedrum DOES get triggered by the spectralis, right?)

Maybe we need some more clarification for this part....... :|
acemonvw

Postby jizzmaster2000 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:38 pm

Yes, also I should try and work things out before I ask confusing questions.
Hooked up my Novation drumstation and it works like a charm with the drum sequencer. Q, inthe step/accent page, second encoder is velocity, the the forth is? Is it accent? Doesn't seem to work.

"Per track, per part" its hard to remember the terminology used, MD is track.

Not sure about P 08 issue, I'm not worried about it right now.

Sample question, can you find the sample "schiller" unless you deleted it.
Thanx.
Jeremy
Melbourne
jizzmaster2000

Postby ziopad » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:33 pm

jizzmaster2000 wrote:Q, inthe step/accent page, second encoder is velocity, the the forth is? Is it accent? Doesn't seem to work.

Hey, jizzmaster2000, did you ever figure this question out? I'm playing with the velocity and accent functionality in the Beatmatrix and I'm lost about how to get an accent (other than taking every non-accented step and dropping its velocity so they don't hit as hard as "accented" steps with full velocity). Is this a known OS issue or just my ignorance?
ziopad

Postby jizzmaster2000 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:40 am

No I got bored and moved on.
Would it be easier to have all steps at a lower velocity then increase the steps you want to accent ?
Jeremy
Melbourne
jizzmaster2000

Postby acemonvw » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:36 pm

I found the schiller voice thing I think:

Dsynth_________S:Voice________Vcls_Sc
acemonvw

Postby jizzmaster2000 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:52 am

But do you have to find it in the vco section?
Jeremy
Melbourne
jizzmaster2000

Postby pizzatime » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:17 pm

Since velocity was implemented on the drum sequencer I don't think the "accent" does anything now as it is not really needed..
pizzatime

Postby acemonvw » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:24 pm

pizzatime wrote:Since velocity was implemented on the drum sequencer I don't think the "accent" does anything now as it is not really needed..

Good point.

That stupid function has been staring me in the face for a long time!
acemonvw

Postby acemonvw » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:27 pm

jizzmaster2000 wrote:But do you have to find it in the vco section?

I sort of was afraid you'd ask that... I forgot.

Just check both locations I guess. Stupidly, I also didn't try playing it. I just found it and it loaded Schiller voice, or something.
acemonvw

Previous

Return to Helpdesk