Suggestions on a tutorial?

Questions and Answers concerning the spectralis!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Re: Suggestions on a tutorial?

Postby balaton » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:03 pm

acemonvw wrote:Yes, I am myself not very clear on the difference between pressing [Select]+[part] to load a sound vs [Osc Wave]. I know there is a difference and that you can access the sounds in different ways... but I'm sort of burnt out from all the videos I made and I know I didn't really address the problem in the video, mainly because I was confused myself. Perhaps someone else knows exactly the difference between loading sounds via the two methods. Like I said, I prefer loading sounds using the Osc Wave button. Seems more straightforward!

I've asked this from Jörg just before this came up here so here is what he answered:
Jörg Schaaf wrote:The Spectralis allows for the usage of your own samples as oscillator waveforms. If you want to get that selection opportunity in the normal sound select menu please select the wave form, change the parameters until you are satisfied with the sound and then save the sound in the save sound menu.
If you now select the new sound in the program select menu, the Spectralis will load the sample automaticly.

This at least explains why some samples show up in the sound menu and some only in the OSC wave menu.
balaton

Postby Gonzini » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:20 am

If the samples have been saved as part of the soundbank / patch they appear in the first level of sound selection.
Only unasigned samples you have to press the OSC wave encoder to get at them.
Gonzini

Postby acemonvw » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:28 am

Gonzini wrote:If the samples have been saved as part of the soundbank / patch they appear in the first level of sound selection.
Only unasigned samples you have to press the OSC wave encoder to get at them.

Either way, every song I write I enjoy coming up with new sounds for it anyway, so I never really care if I have to reshape (or add filters and other ADSR settings) for each sound I use. Hence why I just avoid the Sound menu (or soundbank selection). Life is just simpler that way.

Trying to really understand the song mode thing still. It makes sense, but just seems like such a hassle!
acemonvw

Postby Gonzini » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:42 pm

Can't say i've looked at song mode either yet, hopefully l'll have a another crack at it over the next few months. Got the rest of the gear setup up now and Audition up and running on the PC.
The sound banks do interest me as i have a large sample library i've built up over the years.
Got a lot of samples taken from synths and the Akai library from my MPC2KXL and S3000XL, these would of been saved in patches in the sampler so was going to try and recreate to some degree inside the Spectralis.
All takes up lots of time though...
Gonzini

Postby sicks » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:03 pm

8) OK, what about a tutorial showing routing an external source into the filter and generally exploring what you can do with the line ins...
sicks

Postby acemonvw » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:47 pm

sicks wrote:8) OK, what about a tutorial showing routing an external source into the filter and generally exploring what you can do with the line ins...

I would, but i hate the external source. I recall that the spectralis doesn't save the settings when you turn up the volume of Left in and Right in. So... effectively, becoming a pain in the ass to go and turn up the volume each time.

Maybe that's just for Bus out, and not routing through filters... Either way, it annoyed me, maybe I'll learn something today...?
acemonvw

Postby decay » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:06 am

I love the external inputs. At the moment I am using the direct out to route bassdrum, snare and hihats through an Ibanes DS10 Metal charger distortion pedal and the signal goes back in and is routed to the analog filter, added some delay and cut off lfo modulation set at random on the bassdrum and it sounds great.
Did not experience any problems with the volume saving as you stated above :)
I am using a Spectralis 1.
decay

Postby pizzatime » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Can't beat adding a bit of distortion to dirty things up..
Don't think I have had that problem with saving the Ext In settings either - shame you can't route straight to the delay though.
pizzatime

Postby acemonvw » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:14 pm

god damn it... now I'll have to go back and check. Maybe I never saved my settings to song! I think my experience with external inputs was about a year and a half ago... when I really started digging into the machine. Hopefully I just missed something. I guess either way it's not a big deal since I never use it, but could be nice if I could.

Oh, and welcome (a month late) to the forum pizzatime!
acemonvw

Postby pizzatime » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:37 pm

Cheers - i was cbeefheart before but forgot my password and couldn't reset it as it said my email address was wrong.
pizzatime

PreviousNext

Return to Helpdesk