OSC Frequency Modulation FAIL

Questions and Answers concerning the spectralis!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Re: OSC Frequency Modulation FAIL

Postby bug2342 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:11 pm

MetaP wrote:can you upload a sample of your frequency/Phase Modulation? I'd be interested how it sounds!

Yes:
http://soundcloud.com/bug2342/speci-fm-tests-01

For details see my comment there.
I think the first one kind of gets close.

Some others are nice trashy and videogamey sometimes...

Warning, it is slightly hard on the ears when listened to at high volume.
bug2342

Postby cbeefheartuk » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:31 pm

bug2342 - interesting stuff..
I found it really helpful so many thanks as well. Going to do some further experimenting myself now.
cbeefheartuk

Postby MetaP » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:41 pm

bug2342 wrote:Sorry for the math heavy explanation before, I was in a hurry, so I didn´t have the time to think about a simpler explanation. Let´s try that one:

Thin of a wave train, even simpler: a real live train (a very long one).
Now every wagon is a cycle of the waveform (we don´t actually need that fact).

Normally, the train will drive past and we will see the wagons pass at regular intervals.
If we count how many wagons go by per second we get a frequency.
So frequency is basically the speed at which our train travels.

If we now change the speed of the train in some periodic way we get frequency modulation.

Now, if we move the train directly backward and forward, we can periodically change the position of the train.
Since our wagons are our wave cycles this is equivalent to changing the phase of the train and therefore phase modulation.

So: Frequency is equivalent to the speed at which a train goes by, phase to the position of the train.

If we change the speed of the train we change the rate of change of the position.
If we change the frequency of a wave we change the rate of change of phase.

The rate of change of something with time is called the derivative (with respect to time).

Better?

hahahahahhahahaha :mrgreen:
yes, much better! but I feel kind of stupid know, because its really not that hard to come to that conclusion by yourself ^^...

maybe you should write a book called "Advanced Synthesis for Dummies" and use the train model ;)

I listened to the audiosamples, and I think No. 3 sounds best! pretty nice, gets close to Nord FM!

thanks for the effort!
MetaP

Postby bug2342 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:02 am

MetaP wrote:hahahahahhahahaha :mrgreen:
yes, much better! but I feel kind of stupid know, because its really not that hard to come to that conclusion by yourself ^^...

maybe you should write a book called "Advanced Synthesis for Dummies" and use the train model ;)

Na, train model is abused to death by the Physics guy with the strange hair.

And yes, I know the feeling of not feeling smart when you understand something. The problem (with most stuff) is that it´s easy once understood...

I have come to recognize that as a good sign :-)
MetaP wrote:I listened to the audiosamples, and I think No. 3 sounds best! pretty nice, gets close to Nord FM!

Well, the bad news is, that in sound No. 3 there is no FM involved. So you still don´t like the Spectralis FM.

But you maybe just found a new function that will bring you happiness.

Basically No.3 just uses Oscillator Sync and a sequencer modulation of the pitch of Osc 1. You even get kind of similar results when using the pitch envelope. The drawback of that one is, that it is a hard wired ASR Envelope, So you can not have easy ramp up and ramp down.

It is pretty much the classic way of doing "formant" like sounds. Also, FMing a Square kind of gives you similar results.

Sync on the Spectralis is quite powerful. The easiest way to experiment with it is hitting shift+Oct down to enable it and than tweak the coarse tuning of Osc 1. Osc 2 will now determine the pitch and Osc 1 will shift the "formant".

Osc 1 also has a pitch envelope (submenu of the coarse tune). For the rising sound you normally want with Sync it is a bit tricky to set up. Basically the pitch you put in coarse tune is your final pitch. This can be in the +40 to +60 range to get a nice drastic effect. Your start pitch is actually the coarse tune + the offset from the Envelope.

Oh, one more fun thing for nasty sounds (not great for squares, but for other stuff):
The Speci can do "soft" sync. Not the wave reversal version, but the one that does only sync sometimes.
Basically if you adjust the numeric value of sync you can tell the machine only to sync when the value of the synced and the syncing waveform are close. This can create all kinds of strange subharmonics.
bug2342

Postby MetaP » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:16 pm

very interesting! and I thought I know a lot about the Speckie ^^
MetaP

Postby jizzmaster2000 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:40 am

should be in the wiki
Jeremy
Melbourne
jizzmaster2000

Postby ziopad » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:03 pm

Just found this thread and wanted to say thanks; this was hugely helpful for wrapping my head around some of the OSC modulation possibilities.
ziopad

Previous

Return to Helpdesk