Sticky Tips and tricks section

Questions and Answers concerning the spectralis!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Sticky Tips and tricks section

Postby Jörg Schaaf » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:21 pm

Sticky Tips and Tricks Forum rulez!

Please use this thread for real tips and tricks only! Use additional threads for appreciation postings and comments or use PMs for that! All postings beside Tips and tricks will be removed!
New users please check the following link for forum activation:
http://www.forum.radikaltechnologies.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=921
http://www.myspace.com/jorgschaaf
http://www.youtube.com/user/SCHAAFJOERG
Jörg Schaaf

Hybrid Sounddesign Creating Kicks - reposted from WhOmPaSh-I

Postby lloyd40 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:36 pm

WhOmPaSh-I Kickdrum tutorial:

I'm sure that some of you veterans have already figured this out, but I'd just like to share this with anyone who'd like to create their own techno/dance kicks.

Here's how to create a 909 style kick with a lot of tweak-ability.
For this we will be using just one oscillator
Start by pushing encoder OSC WAVE > 1/26 VCO Shape set it to 0 (the higher you set it the rougher it gets :wink: ) > set everything else but 7/26 on that oscillator to 0 > to start, we will route this right to the bus so set 7/26 Bus volume to 255
Now make sure that no other oscillators are active by making sure OSC Wave pages 3/26 - 6/26 on the other oscillators are set to zero too.
From here, check the envelope in the VCA > EG Balance > set 1/8 > Att: 2 dcy 94 Stn 165 rls 36 - this can be adjusted later, but the important part is to set the release to above 10 (or 20) to avoid clicks.
Now push the OSC Detune encoder in the VCO section > 1/ 4 VCO fine and 4/4 VCO0 Pitch should be set to zero > set 3/4 key scale to 12 > set 2/4 course to -24 > while on this page press the encoder below OSC 1 > Pitch envelope preset should be set to zero > press the encoder below OSC 1 > VCO1 Pitch set: stpt : 33, time: 25, time: 0, endp: 0
Try hitting some notes, somewhere on your keyboard you should have a nice and phat classic 909 style kick. Give it a save.

Now for some tweaking.....
VCO 1/4 stpt parameters 25 - 60 = adds more chirp, like a trance or hard techno kick.
VCO 1/4 Time parameters 25 - 50 = makes the tone more apparent
VCO Course parameter -24 = +/- climbing tone vs flat
VCA EG balance attack parameter 0-30 = higher number means less click on the front (smoother)
VCA EG balance Release parameter 20-80 = higher number is more like an 808
VCO WAVE shape 0-? = the higher the number, the more industrial sounding

wait there's more...remember the signal goes right to the bus?
Try routing it to the LP for that extra resonating thunk, the MM? The FB?
Double the oscillators...vary the waveforms...you get the idea.

Can't find that perfect kick for your track? Put it on an unused trigger group/oscillator (if there are any) and tune it perfectly...or sample the hell out of various kicks and put them on an SD card.

Damn the spectralis rules!

Link to the original posting:
http://www.spectralis.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1228
lloyd40

Specki Routing Diagrams - reposted from Lichttank

Postby lloyd40 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:48 pm

Lichttank wrote:Here you can see a diagram I created last summer:

"
(1) vector-based svg-format (best quality!)
http://lichttank.li.funpic.de/bilder/Ro ... _draft.svg

(2) pdf:
http://lichttank.li.funpic.de/bilder/Ro ... _draft.pdf

What do you think about this diagram?
Greetings!
Karsten

lloyd40

Postby revtor » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:26 pm

---HYBRIDSYNTH ROUTING DIAGRAM---

This was done to show how the various envelopes and vca's interact when routing a vco into a vcf.

The blue circles on the chart represent the knob to press to get to the correct menu page to alter the parameter. Please see the key at the bottom of the chart to understand a bit better.
If anyone has a better way graphically to represent this please show me, I can redo the chart.

Thanks to Spekiman for hosting!

http://www.lfo-one.de/spectralis/pdf/SpecktralChart.pdf

~Steve
revtor

Postby Leoparden » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:02 pm

This is more or less copied from a post i wrote a while ago in another topic, i thought it could be useful for new spectralis users..:

Making melodies on drumparts (or using a drum part as an extra synth part) in OS 0.97.

So, normally the drum parts are sequenced using the groove edit (beatmatrix) section. Using that you can not really control the pitch of each step (unless you use velocity to modulate pitch).
But it is possible to sequence drumparts with the sequenserlines instead and THEN you can control the pitch of each step, or even use drumparts as simple synth parts.

Some notes to avoid confusion before you start:

1. In the current firmware you cannot perform this operation on channel 1 (kick). Or rather, you can do it but it WILL NOT be saved properly when you change pattern. It still works on all other drumparts, and in this example i will use perc1 (part9).

2. By default the initial note pitch on sequenserlines is set to c-3, which often is so low that you can barely hear the sound at all.
This has caused me confusion sometimes but it can be changed if you make your own default pattern.

3. When you are working with sequenser lines spectralis automatically selects the hybridsynth as the current part. This means that if you want to change the sound of your perc1 part during the operation, you have to press select and choose perc1.

Ok, here is how to make a melodic drum sequnce on perc1 (part9):

-Press Function in the sequence edit section.

-Turn the display knob until it says [create?] and push it. You now have a new sequenserline.

-Press Target in the sequence edit section, choose Dsyn PLAY Dnote.

-Press the button under "Dnote" and you will see a page called "Dsyn-Note Line Config". Choose DsPart: 9 (thats perc1)

-Press Function in the sequence edit section.

-You should now see the seq line page in the display looking something like:
seq:line17 Pitch:c-3 Len:4th Vel:63

-Change pitch to (for example) A2 and press one of the buttons 1-16 to insert a note. (This is where the c-3 default value can be confusing unless you change it).

-Press play on Spectralis.

-Now, change the pitch in the display again, this time to C2 and insert another note on one of the buttons 1-16.

You should now hear your perc1 sound being played back at different pitch.

-Now you can try to input notes on all steps 1-16, and change the pitch of each step by turning the encoder above it.

Since there is filters and envelopes for each drumchannel you can also use it as an extra synth part if you select one of the waveforms instead of a drumsound for a part.

Have fun!
Leoparden

Postby Elektroherd » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:23 pm

I think those tools are essential, when you work with your own samples on D-Synth. And they are for free... :D

for creating multisamples
Viena (windows)
from synthfont.com

waveeditor where you can set loop-points
Wavosaur (windows)

I post the links here, because I had some trouble to find those tools some time ago.
Elektroherd

Postby via » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:59 pm

*Make a random lfo who only outputs setting that appeal to you ..

It works as using a sequence lines like a lfo …
I’ve only done this on cutoff but this should be able to be applied any Asynth targets if the user programs his/hers steps right..
Press some steps and set them up to sound good with your sound with different length and depth setting pre step..
Look at each step as a sene setting that sounds good on you target..
Now set playback to> random..
the length of the seq line becomes the rate of the lfo..
Want slow rate> increase length of the line by steps or bars..
Faster rate >increase the resolution of the seq line

*to mute seq lines quickly ..

Set >last step< to 1
And >mute step< 1

Fun hints

*use multiple seq lines on the same Dsynth part and use different resolution per line
, mix your standard 16th grid and with another line in 24th note resolutions..

* Try switching Dsynth parts in the seq target after programming some seq line for the DSP.. (Some times a conga might sound great playing your lead line ect ...

Routing the drums to the filter bank and opening the low range of the filter bank in a rythmatic way can push a lot of thump air into low end … if you program this countering your bass groove you can create a side-chaining effect ..

Just some of the zillions of ways to do it ..from this brilliant sounding robot
via

Postby via » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:52 pm

double post
Last edited by via on Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
via

Postby via » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:52 pm

*Live tips..

program the last 4 num buttons as drum fills .. pressing them while in drum groove will instantly recall fills ala 808 ... so now when your in a live set you can always recall a drum fills by pressing one of the last 4 num buttons... handy

Program your live set via song mode can work out really well as it will allow you to jump into pattern mode on the fly without ever stooping the song mode chain, and then after jamming around, switching patterns, twisting knobs and soloing/muting (even save on the fly) you can jump back into song mode and it will still be located in that step of the song chain where you exited!,.. pressing next step(page up) will advance you to the next step in song mode and continue playing the song/set.. and then later in the set you can jump back into pattern mode and jam ect etc again.. just make sure the pattern mute/solo setting have been set up to sound good when entering pattern mode as when you enter pattern mode the mute/solo setting of the pattern will overwrite the ones in song mode..

*More expressive drum sound
Slightly (just slightly unless you want an audible effect) modulate the pitch & volume (filter&pan whatever suits your sound) to get a more dynamic/live feel to your drums ..

*Layer recordings of seq modes ...
record a step sequence on the same part as you recorded your real time playing/seq to get advanced melodies that you might never have been able to play live with your hands ..

its very cool on monophonic sound using irregular timing lines as it will cut the sound dependent on where the notes hit and give you a evolving line

*Generate ghost notes
via step lines via low velocity and probability to other that 100%... this will generate random triggers of these ghost notes under your seq and give a more live feel..

*Beat repeater
set the sound to mono and program an irregular seq line with different probability settings per steps to get a live/random feel into your track that plays under of your sequenced track... use two lines to get more even more repeater'erd ..

*Melodic filter rhythms
use different filter band envelopes to generate an almost melodic feel to your rhythm ...try passing your hi hats though the HP filter band and use 1st and 2nd trigger with a soft envelope and 3rd with hard enevolpe and 4th with attack envelope or whatever sounds good) the different envelopes will open up a melodic way for the HP bands to play on top of you hihats

*Getting a low end thump on your kick
step seq LP filter band and pass your kick though it, set step length to 1-2 or 3 (or whatever your groove needs) set the trigger to ether hit on each kick drum or the step after and set the envelope to use attack setting (or whatever works) and this huge bass will follow each time your kick punches.. like I said if you use a 4/4 kick, you might want to step trigger the LP on the step right after your kick (gating effect) .. experiment with envelopes and trigger timing.. this will make you want to sell your 909 :wink:
enjoy
via

Postby via » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:07 pm

Actually to simplfy things alot

to get massif sounding drums
just pass them though the filterbank!!

try putting down a 4/4 kick
Press>routing
set Ansend level> up (page2/4
set Fb level> up (p3/4
Press>level (under filterbank
turn up> LP (encoder1

FB volume has to be up
Press >level (under Filterbank
trun up > Encoder 11

For FB to be heard you need to ether triggered it via seq line or TG or simply bypassed the FB
Press >level under filtebank
Press > encoder 12
turn up> FBBP

Boom Bomm> BOOM BOOM
via

Next

Return to Helpdesk