My thoughts on the Accelerator, Spectralis and analogues

Post your experiences, share sounds and send us links to your music...

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Re: My thoughts on the Accelerator, Spectralis and analogues

Postby via » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:08 pm

thought I´d chime in on this note
Yeah 909 does have a d/a convertor.

But i will go back on what i said, in that the jomox airbase (not xbase) knocks the 909 into a cocked hat.

Not only can it sound like a 909, its circuits are more elaborate, so you can also do 808 sounds too.. plus a load of other voice shaping parameters... TR909 sequencer still king though, and it looks great
" -------------------------------------------

Think thats a it of an overstatement, I´ve had both a xbase and an airbase (regret selling them dearly). the jomoxes are much more flexible = greater sonic spectrum hence the comment^, but for pure 909 sound it sounds much ruffer/harder; manly due to the 12 bit (909) vs (jomox) 8 bit samples (specially when harmonics is pushed on the jomox BD).. the airbase 999/888 sample section also has analog HP&LP filters; a very clever feature for smoothing out the HHats and there´s real analog white noise in there to.. an excellent sounding unit but so is the 909 and nothing does pure 909 better than the real deal.

I´ve been thinking of airbase again to run as an drum expansion to the spectralis and for live gigs,.. analog drums (specially the kick) has always been essential to my mentality towards 4on the floor music.. … that being said; I´ve been getting more into the drum design on the spectralis, the sound has its weak and strong sides, but generally the samples just magically sit together, anyone else notice this?, its like the spectralis balances/compresses the samples to fit in the mix, its strange but I can get very produced beats out of the spectralia while my 808 and always needs processing.

Now if the spectralis drums had Fine tune, startpoint (index) modulation and pitch envelopes (also 2nd layer would be brilliant) and more seq control I´d likely just get a mbase, maybe not even, as the spectralis is very capable of pulling off some nice beats and this brings me to the one definitive plus of the spectralis = Load your own samples!!! this is a key element> with your preferred soundest the spectralis is 10x better!,.. and then its the Asynth which does wicked percussion, in some-cases when no synth sound are needed the spectralis takes a role of a superb drumbox (Asynth drums and analog filters to process samples) very powerful.
via

Postby acemonvw » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:00 pm

spectac wrote:It's not as big as the A6, but that's the problem with some synths, you can only use one or two instances on a song before the entire frequency range is loaded. Once you reach for the EQ it's almost like what's the point then?

Hey spectac, I'm wondering if you can give any more insight into the differences between the ACC and the A6... Any new thoughts on it? You've had at least a year with the ACC now, I think. The A6 is one of those coveted synths, does the ACC come close at all in terms of synthesis and sound, as well as useability?
acemonvw

Postby MarkH » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:30 pm

acemonvw wrote:
spectac wrote:It's not as big as the A6, but that's the problem with some synths, you can only use one or two instances on a song before the entire frequency range is loaded. Once you reach for the EQ it's almost like what's the point then?

Hey spectac, I'm wondering if you can give any more insight into the differences between the ACC and the A6... Any new thoughts on it? You've had at least a year with the ACC now, I think. The A6 is one of those coveted synths, does the ACC come close at all in terms of synthesis and sound, as well as useability?

I have both and I thought the Accelerator sounded a lot like the A6 before I read this thread. The Pads are what jumped out at me. To a purist they may be able to tell the difference between the two with the effects turned off on both synths, but they are very close in sound. I don't mind the matrix editing on the Accelerator but of course the knob per function on the A6 is nice too. They both have screens small enough to drive me nuts. The keys on the Accelerator are superior to the A6.

I will add that while the A6 may have an upper edge on sounding analog (because it is) I think both synths are great. All of MIDERA's tracks on YouTube are phenomenal. A lot of people associate the A6 as a harsh sound analog synth. I would say that if you want to hear a different side of the A6, I think this track from MrFirechild does a pretty good job of showing off how versatile the A6 can be. My point is the "WOW" factor is how the Accelerator, a pure digital synth, can sound so analog. But owning both an Accelerator and an A6 isn't necessarily a bad thing either because you can take your sound in two totally different directions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHvTB0DaBGQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbCBVO34ah4
MarkH

Postby acemonvw » Tue May 09, 2017 8:25 pm

So - spectac....

How do you still feel about the accelerator after a few years of use? Any change?
acemonvw

Postby jizzmaster2000 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:06 am

Hi ya's.
I'm still loving my Acc, I finally worked out the midi settings. I use it to controll Yam xv2020 with two midi channels one octave apart. So I can do that two octave piano style playing very easy.
And been playing with the effects a bit more. Theres alot in there especialy when playing with EQs and filters etc...
Jeremy
Melbourne
jizzmaster2000

Previous

Return to Accelerator User Community