OS 1.66 Updater crashes on Windows 8.1 (64-Bit)

Here is the place for Update downloads and discussions.

OS 1.66 Updater crashes on Windows 8.1 (64-Bit)

Postby sato » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:54 pm

I've also tried to start it in compatibility mode. Is this a known problem?
sato

Re: OS 1.66 Updater crashes on Windows 8.1 (64-Bit)

Postby sato » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:07 pm

Man, this is really, really, really annoying, with every Accelerator OS update there seems to be a problem.

Since the program crashes on Win 8.1 I've used a Windows 7 virtual machine. The updater at least starts on the guest machine. During the update process there was an "ERR ..." message but the update went through. Alas, after the update, the Accelerator says it's on 1.66 but it's now a) not recognized over USB, and b) it's silent. I've already checked the Zones and Local On / Off settings.

Since the Accelerator isn't recognized over USB I can't re-initiate the update procedure. There's no way for me to use MIDI cables because that won't work through the virtual machine and because the updater doesn't work on Win 8.1.

As an addendum, the Accelerator is recognized when I initiate the flash procedure with the START + FX Combo, but then I can't choose the Ports from within the Updater.

So I guess the only way to get out of this is having a working Updater for Win 8.1 Professional 64-bit.
sato

Postby Jörg Schaaf » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:35 am

Hi,

I just sent you an email.

When we created the flasher, version 8.1 of windows was not even available and Windows 7 has a little USB bug causing sometimes a sysex package lost. Unfortunately the Bootloader is not prepared for these errors and did not call for incomplete packages. The next bootloader is around the corner and will be published soon together with a new firmware.

Best regards and sorry for the trouble,

Joerg
New users please check the following link for forum activation:
http://www.forum.radikaltechnologies.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=921
http://www.myspace.com/jorgschaaf
http://www.youtube.com/user/SCHAAFJOERG
Jörg Schaaf

Postby sato » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:58 pm

Hey Jörg, thanks for your quick help!

For people who might be interested in the solution:

The reason the Update program crashed was due to a Novation MIDI-keyboard which was plugged into my computer through USB.

As soon as I've unplugged the midi keyboard I was able to start the update program. I guess the update program's initial scan of the available midi devices is what triggers the crash. Probably because of a bug in Windows or the USB / MIDI driver implementation. Don't know.
sato

Return to Updates