it is time for the new update

Notifications on new updates will be posted here!

Moderator: Jörg Schaaf

Re: it is time for the new update

Postby acemonvw » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:12 pm

Same as dest4b... my Spectralis asked me what time it was :/

But that's more because I bought a house and built a studio room (went from a grubby workshop to a pretty nice studio I'd say!)

Also, I don't know if this thread will live much longer. This sub-forum "updates" has been getting pruned and pruned and there's hardly any threads left. I'm not sure if it prunes out inactive threads or what... but I'll be sad the day we lose this 30+ page thread!
acemonvw

Postby BarTholomai » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:56 pm

Oha... that i feared.

..To difficult to work on it?..

The force of money is overestimated. How many Projects are priceless running in some garages!? An "perfect" OS for this Hardware cost Heard-blood and not money.

To Jörg only a little idea :idea: :

1. Make the OS Open Source and let the User do what they want to do.
2. In an Volunteer project there can exist an Stable variant of your OS. From User to User.
3. Sell more Device as u ever do and u will find Software witch u NEVER had think they could work!

This Hardware is amazing, but some tweaks on the software can make it greater: Where the Hell are the Copy Paste function in the Seq. Editor?!
BarTholomai

Postby tofik » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:14 am

I think it is necessary to collect signatures with the demand to make open source OS.
=)
"Music Is The Basis Of All Life" (c)
https://soundcloud.com/betonizm
tofik

Postby Jörg Schaaf » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:47 pm

I have three things to say:

1.) We will never make the Spectralis an open source project.
2.) You should not sell the Spectralis 2 and not even the Spectralis 1 at the moment. You will regret that soon.
3.) I told some guys in the past, why I am not manufacturing Spectralis currently. The Spectralis will go into the next production run in the beginnung of next year.

That probably tells you guys something.

I apologize for all the frustrations and and I you guys are completely right with everything you wrote down in this thread. That does not mean, that every single suggestion of customers can find a way into a new firmware but the Spectralis will receive a major update for everyone.
New users please check the following link for forum activation:
http://www.forum.radikaltechnologies.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=921
http://www.myspace.com/jorgschaaf
http://www.youtube.com/user/SCHAAFJOERG
Jörg Schaaf

Postby BarTholomai » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:54 am

The answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is not 42...
...It is Radikal Technologies!

Thank you Jörg, for your Heard-blood!
BarTholomai

Postby silentake » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:13 am

Jörg Schaaf wrote: the Spectralis will receive a major update for everyone

:shock: Is this for real?

These news are something like an early christmas gift to me :mrgreen:
Spectralis 2, OS 1.71
silentake

Postby tofik » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:18 am

very cool!!
resampling planned?
"Music Is The Basis Of All Life" (c)
https://soundcloud.com/betonizm
tofik

Postby thetechnobear » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:42 pm

Jörg Schaaf wrote: the Spectralis will receive a major update for everyone.

fantastic news... Im very happy with the Spectralis functionality, but some fixes for the odd bug would be really great. (and getting 1.5 on the Spec 1 is great news on its own).

Jorg, as a software developer, I completely understand retaining intellectual property... as I often do to.
I also get a little fed up with the current culture that asks (expects?) you to give this away for free... why?
open source is the choice of the developer NOT a right, and it doesn't suit every project/product!
(rant over)

but I wonder is there another way to involve interested developers e.g. by signing an NDA?

of course, I don't even know what tools you are using,
it could your using some expensive DSP toolset/kit, so this makes it impractical anyway for anyone who is not doing this commercially.
Id point out, that I'd not expect anyone to be able to help much on the core sound engine or sequencing, but perhaps more the surrounding tasks, like menus/options or adding more sequencer targets... again, I completely accept without seeing the code, this may or may not be a reasonable expectation...and the associated overheads may make it not very attractive.

anyway, thanks again for producing a fantastic product... and I really hope you can give us one final update to sort out a few 'niggles'.

Thanks again
Mark

p.s. I saw some talk before of a 'test build' for the spectralis, which had some more external control possible via NRPN... is this likely to make it in? this is perhaps my one 'wish', as it would allow me integrate my Spectralis with other midi gear I have a little better.
thetechnobear

Postby Elektroherd » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:04 pm

Jörg Schaaf wrote:1.) We will never make the Spectralis an open source project.
2.) You should not sell the Spectralis 2 and not even the Spectralis 1 at the moment. You will regret that soon.
3.) I told some guys in the past, why I am not manufacturing Spectralis currently. The Spectralis will go into the next production run in the beginnung of next year.

I love my Specki since 2007 (and some rare times I hate it). I'm so glad at the moment and feel so privileged to see this machine evolving.

1) I was never asking for this. No doubt, this would be cool and could give some cool results. Raditecs DSP-algorithms are high quality and far beyond scientific papers that are free to public. It's a good bet, to not share that knowledge. At the other side, I would definetely provide my services as a developer for free to raditec in my freetime to see the OS approaching its final state and treat company's secrets as a secret. Btw this is not an application :). But hey, I could do the job for free. It suits my passion and my education.

2) I will never sell my Specki (as long as it is not a vintage instrument :) ). Vintage makes things more valuable. An obsolete digital synth should be more valuable than an analogue synth, which can be replicated much easier than complex software algorithms. The specki definitely makes a good candidate for the digital vintage boom aera. It will come.

3) I hope you never stop production of the Spectralis, even if this conquers with my digital vintage boom dreams.
Elektroherd

Postby sonicwarrior » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:22 pm

Elektroherd wrote:The specki definitely makes a good candidate for the digital vintage boom aera. It will come.

Some older digital synths are already rising in value, e.g. the Yamaha FS1R.
sonicwarrior

PreviousNext

Return to Updates